How do you "automatically" update your Windows Media Player album information if this doesn't work the first time?

Anonymous
2016-02-28T16:25:35+00:00

Hi,

    How do you "automatically" update your Windows Media Player album information, if this doesn't work the first time in respect of the data for the album, which WMP finds?

    I'm not finding the accuracy of the Player good at all; if there's a double album it seems to get these the wrong way around in respect of the details. And Sometimes it gets albums entirely wrong, when I had no difficult finding this on the internet?

    Before you respond I know 'Edit' and "Search" etc, but the editing process would take too long for each single. And Search is not working... I've typed the exact details in for the album, only for WMP to turn up 500+ results, which are not relevant?

    Also how do you prevent your playlists being lost, if your computer crashes? How do you Save etc or is there a quicker easier way to do this? Is there a way for instance of saving these online?

(Microsoft please have another look at this forum? For instance it is far too difficult to find, and when I've been writing, on pressing Return I lose the post? Also the font selection function italics etc did not work for me???)

PS Italics worked belatedly towards the end, when I highlighted the text I'd written.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-05-08T18:18:35+00:00

Sorry for the delay - finally found time to read back through the thread - I don't think at this point I can offer any more suggestions. The sledgehammer option proposed by MS support may be about the only one left, and if you're (fairly) happy with how most stuff is working... that seems a bit drastic!

It seems MS techs are no longer bothered much about WMP - so many people having issues with it particularly in W10 (Burn/Rip problems; Incorrectly sized artwork; DRM - which MS promised to try to fix last August... etc.) Yet it's still a fundamental part of the OS.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-01T08:23:23+00:00

    Hi Ric,

    **Thanks for patience... the SFC fix is the same as these isn't it, I use anyway?And apologies for leaving it so long... WMP while important, and of course your response and help, but the former WMP not my main priority to fix when I have so much on at present.

    Go into Command Prompt Admit, by right clicking the Windows Icon:****

    Online:

    chkdsk /scan****– runs an online scan meaning it will fix whatever can be fixed without restarting.

    chkdsk /forceofflinefix /scan****– has to be used with /scan and is basically the same thing as running /spotfix

    chkdsk /perf /scan– You can make the online scan even faster by using this parameter. It will eat up more resources and slow down other tasks.

    Offline Restart:

    *** When you run /spotfix or /offlinescanandfix on the current used volume, you’ll be asked to schedule the scan the next time the system restarts!

    chkdsk /spotfix– The new magical spot fixing feature of chkdsk that fixes errors in seconds rather than hours

    chkdsk /offlinescanandfix – Will run an offline scan and fix

    chkdsk C: /f /r /x

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T18:46:15+00:00

    No - they've changed the layout of the posts in the forum (and added the stoopid 'Solved my problem' button) - many of the regular posters (myself included!) hate it - and there may be worse to come.

    The original question (along with the 'answer' if there is one) is now at the top of every page of the thread which often makes replies difficult to see or seem out of order... I am getting used to it but I preferred the continuity of the previous layout. Hopefully with the new posts here it should be easier to pick up the flow again...you may just need to click back to the previous page. - Cheers, R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T18:30:28+00:00

    How do I find Rik the last post you replied to... as when I click the link within the email this seems to, well it does just take me to the beginning of the post I placed?

    Not a great system to understand.

    ***On the last point... cleaning the CD did work, so copying to WMP was fine as I think I recall afterwards.*Oh PS: I'll be busy this week so might not have time to get back until later this week or next, so Yogi Bear with me please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-31T12:25:47+00:00

    Hi again - on the other points you've raised...

    Finding old threads in which you have participated - just click on your profile - SebastianWhite---01 - they'll all be there under activity. If it's a thread you wish to follow (without necessarily participating) just click 'Subscribe' under the question to receive email updates...

    I think one of the problems with old links (like those for W7) on the MS site is that it auto-detects your system as being '10' and redirects to that generic page, which is a bit annoying!

    It seems to me - it's not so much W10 itself that is problematical as PCs that have been upgraded from a previous OS. I'm experiencing no difficulties with it - there were things I liked in 7 that have gone but also a lot of good additional features. Doing a completely clean reinstall of 7 would leave you with hundreds of system updates to install correctly - so there's a lot of potential for problems - and support for it is gradually being run-down anyway.

    Having purchased this W10 laptop just over a year ago, I settled for 'mothballing' the older W7 machine. I reinstalled the basic OS (no updates) so that I can run it (disconnected from the internet) with older programs that I don't need on the new one. If you want to have the best of both, that might be a way forward. - Ric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments