How do you "automatically" update your Windows Media Player album information if this doesn't work the first time?

Anonymous
2016-02-28T16:25:35+00:00

Hi,

    How do you "automatically" update your Windows Media Player album information, if this doesn't work the first time in respect of the data for the album, which WMP finds?

    I'm not finding the accuracy of the Player good at all; if there's a double album it seems to get these the wrong way around in respect of the details. And Sometimes it gets albums entirely wrong, when I had no difficult finding this on the internet?

    Before you respond I know 'Edit' and "Search" etc, but the editing process would take too long for each single. And Search is not working... I've typed the exact details in for the album, only for WMP to turn up 500+ results, which are not relevant?

    Also how do you prevent your playlists being lost, if your computer crashes? How do you Save etc or is there a quicker easier way to do this? Is there a way for instance of saving these online?

(Microsoft please have another look at this forum? For instance it is far too difficult to find, and when I've been writing, on pressing Return I lose the post? Also the font selection function italics etc did not work for me???)

PS Italics worked belatedly towards the end, when I highlighted the text I'd written.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-05-08T18:18:35+00:00

Sorry for the delay - finally found time to read back through the thread - I don't think at this point I can offer any more suggestions. The sledgehammer option proposed by MS support may be about the only one left, and if you're (fairly) happy with how most stuff is working... that seems a bit drastic!

It seems MS techs are no longer bothered much about WMP - so many people having issues with it particularly in W10 (Burn/Rip problems; Incorrectly sized artwork; DRM - which MS promised to try to fix last August... etc.) Yet it's still a fundamental part of the OS.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-19T13:41:40+00:00

    Hi Ric,

               Sorry to not get back to you sooner... having feakish computer issues here!

           ****       Can you help with this... will go through your replies in more depth when I get a mo, but thanks... I've got the 'gist' of what you are saying!

        Can you not take a ScreenShot, and paste this in here, I wished to show you what the issue was...?

    ****Basically on a Kula Shaker song... an exceptional album: one of their songs is marked as 19 mins long, but is only 5 mins... in which case you're left with 14 mins of dead air!

    ****You can't edit the time this is supposed to last for, and let alone why it did this in the first place?

       So any suggestions please?

    Again, why would this be amiss in the first place... although correcting this is the most important thing please?

    Thanks Sean.



    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T22:44:53+00:00

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-do-i-turn-off-notifications-to-upgrade-to/99b8fa20-277a-498b-a5d1-65bc6f70891c

    This thread may help with the W10 upgrade query... interesting that it is a support engineer asking!

    As I said to Christopher (post here earlier today) don't upgrade if you can avoid it. What OS are you on at present btw?

    Regarding WMP - for starters, there are several settings that can affect the library. These are found under 'Organize' - 'Options' and the most important one here is the Privacy tab - you need the top box checked so that cd's you insert can be identified and the clock setting is ok but I'd uncheck everything else in that top section (the history bit at the bottom is up to you). On thePlayer tab I just keep 'Check for Updates Once a Week' dotted (that's updates for the player itself - not your contents) and only the 'allow auto-hide of controls' box ticked. Library tab... all unchecked except for 'volume levelling'.  

    The only other tab of concern is 'Rip Music' - but we can look at that later...  Cheers for now - R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T21:42:52+00:00

    What steps Ric?

    I'm still learning about WPM, but aware that it is not doing what it should do too often!

    How do you stop the W10 notification someone please 'Ric' anyone please?

    I really don't think I want to upgrade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T16:19:56+00:00

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-can-i-move-music-files-back-to-their-proper/ea814fed-59ce-4efa-adf1-dff9225d757d

    My answer in this post may be relevant (bearing in mind I don't know what steps you have taken so far).

    I'll look for more and edit them into this post so that all links are in the one place... R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments