Oh yeah, and we've had Norton installed for quite a while as well. I just found out that ANOTHER computer was having the problem last week, and someone got the bright idea to uninstall Norton and reinstall it, which... appeared to work on that computer, for now at least. But that same tactic was tried on a couple of the ones that kicked up last week and it did NOT work for those machines.
BSOD: The bugcheck was: 0x000000df
Hello!
I manage a small team of users running Windows 7 on a network and one of them is getting the BSOD with error "The bugcheck was: 0x000000df".
I tried various things to fix it and using Norton to clean everything up, and uninstalled various useless programmes. The problem seems to have subsided for her.
Then... I changed my own Norton installation from Norton Internet Security to Norton Security with Backup.. and five minutes after I do this I get the same BSOD with the same bugcheck!!
From what I can tell the 0xdf error seems to be a "IMPERSONATING WORKER THREAD" error but I cannot find out how fix this other than usual update drivers etc. Can I find out exactly which programme is causing this? Could it really be Norton or is that just a coincidence? I really don't want to have to do a clean Windows install.
The full error is The bugcheck was: 0x000000df (0xfffff800033b56c0, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0x0000000000000000).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am downloading the Windows 7 SDK to be able to open the memory.dmp file now.
Here is a link to the dmp file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4qt2xojeadmxcu/MEMORY.zip?dl=0
Thanks!
Daniel
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2016-06-28T17:34:20+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-06-28T17:39:15+00:00 I'm not the OP. I didn't just switch Symantec products, I've had them installed for a while.
I joined the thread because, well, this seems to be about the only thread on 0xDF on the internet. Trying to combine info so we can come to a solution.
Since my last post, it has spread, however, to a 5th computer.
Indeed.
I have uninstalled Norton and downloaded Avira free. Let's see what happens...
(PS one of the troublesome computers is Lenovo, the other Dell)
D
-
Anonymous
2016-06-28T18:32:49+00:00 I'm at 60 minutes without problems post-Norton. This is statistically significant but not absolute proof. The computers I did not switch to Norton are still blue screening. I'm switching a 3rd computer to MSE now.
-
Anonymous
2016-06-28T19:14:59+00:00 Ditto; no problems since uninstalling Norton...
-
Anonymous
2016-06-28T21:43:21+00:00 I have also the same blue screen 0x000000df, only since yesterday.
I have also Norton
And that day MS Silverlight was updated.
So I uninstalled it and I am waiting for the result.