BSOD: The bugcheck was: 0x000000df

Anonymous
2016-06-28T12:15:13+00:00

Hello!

I manage a small team of users running Windows 7 on a network and one of them is getting the BSOD with error "The bugcheck was: 0x000000df".

I tried various things to fix it and using Norton to clean everything up, and uninstalled various useless programmes. The problem seems to have subsided for her.

Then... I changed my own Norton installation from Norton Internet Security to Norton Security with Backup.. and five minutes after I do this I get the same BSOD with the same bugcheck!!

From what I can tell the 0xdf error seems to be a "IMPERSONATING WORKER THREAD" error but I cannot find out how fix this other than usual update drivers etc. Can I find out exactly which programme is causing this? Could it really be Norton or is that just a coincidence? I really don't want to have to do a clean Windows install. 

The full error is The bugcheck was: 0x000000df (0xfffff800033b56c0, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0x0000000000000000). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am downloading the Windows 7 SDK to be able to open the memory.dmp file now.

Here is a link to the dmp file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4qt2xojeadmxcu/MEMORY.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

Daniel

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T15:45:29+00:00

    Interesting - that was one of the theories I had - all the affected machines here are Dell boxes.

    Please let me know if the video driver udpate fixes - I will update as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T15:32:00+00:00

    PS should I turn the driver verifier back on and see what happens?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T15:28:35+00:00

    Noted, thank you.

    I have updated the graphics driver through Dell. Let's see what happens...

    Thank you!

    Daniel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T15:17:17+00:00

    It could easily be both problems.  Your current video driver is from 2014.  There are much newer

    For future reference please upload the DMP located @ C:\windows\minidump.  They are 10x smaller so faster for you to upload and us to download.  I am currently on a 4g metered connection and downloading a 1gig file chews through data in a heart beat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T15:01:53+00:00

    I started the driver verifier and it crashed very soon after, but the BSOD now gave a bugcheck of 7E! I am uploading the dmp file now but I looked at it myself and it mentions the igdkmd64.sys driver which seems to be an Intel display driver. 

    The dmp is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa41ast84144val/MEMORY.zip?dl=0 although still uploading

    It then crashed again but i waited for the BSOD to appear but it never did so I physically restarted the PC with the start button.

    Would this be the same driver causing the DF problem or is this a new problem?? I am updating Display drivers now.

    PS as it crashed again so quickly I have since disabled the verifier.

    Thanks!

    Daniel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments