BSOD: The bugcheck was: 0x000000df

Anonymous
2016-06-28T12:15:13+00:00

Hello!

I manage a small team of users running Windows 7 on a network and one of them is getting the BSOD with error "The bugcheck was: 0x000000df".

I tried various things to fix it and using Norton to clean everything up, and uninstalled various useless programmes. The problem seems to have subsided for her.

Then... I changed my own Norton installation from Norton Internet Security to Norton Security with Backup.. and five minutes after I do this I get the same BSOD with the same bugcheck!!

From what I can tell the 0xdf error seems to be a "IMPERSONATING WORKER THREAD" error but I cannot find out how fix this other than usual update drivers etc. Can I find out exactly which programme is causing this? Could it really be Norton or is that just a coincidence? I really don't want to have to do a clean Windows install. 

The full error is The bugcheck was: 0x000000df (0xfffff800033b56c0, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0x0000000000000000). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am downloading the Windows 7 SDK to be able to open the memory.dmp file now.

Here is a link to the dmp file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4qt2xojeadmxcu/MEMORY.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

Daniel

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:11:21+00:00

    Given it is happening to more than one machine AND it started just after you changed SYmantec products I suspect it is the culprit and your best bet would be to cont them.

    In your first post you only mentioned one machine so I was focused on it, but since it is spreading.  I would try removing Norton from a machine (just to check) you you can have more certainty when you contact Symantec.

    BSOD'S are always a combination of things but in over 40,000 BSOD analysis IMHO Norton products are rubbish. It may simply be norton on Dell does work norton on HP doesnt.  We would need much more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:04:46+00:00

    Also, I should add that it happened once on 5/31 on multiple computers and then that was it until 6/20 when the barrage started.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:03:35+00:00

    Yeah, I've got the same thing.  0xDF, happening on 4 computers in an office and dozens of computers where I'm not getting it.  Happens between once a day and once an hour.  Have Norton Internet Security installed (I noticed someone else mentioned Norton), but that's also installed on the computers not getting the error.

    I also noticed someone mention Dell.  3 of the 4 are Dell, but the other is an HP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T16:47:01+00:00

    It could easily be both problems.  Your current video driver is from 2014.  There are much newer

    For future reference please upload the DMP located @ C:\windows\minidump.  They are 10x smaller so faster for you to upload and us to download.  I am currently on a 4g metered connection and downloading a 1gig file chews through data in a heart beat.

    I turned off driver verifier as it was basically making the PC unusable...

    Then bam! I just got the BSOD again with the DF error again! Eeeek!!

    Minidump here... https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hhf43jyrc31qfd/062816-28204-01.dmp?dl=0 

    Sure I turn the verifier on again and see what happens..? :/

    Thanks!

    Daniel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T16:32:35+00:00

    I'' haveing the same issue in some intel NUC's with norton... I may try removing Norton

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments