BSOD: The bugcheck was: 0x000000df

Anonymous
2016-06-28T12:15:13+00:00

Hello!

I manage a small team of users running Windows 7 on a network and one of them is getting the BSOD with error "The bugcheck was: 0x000000df".

I tried various things to fix it and using Norton to clean everything up, and uninstalled various useless programmes. The problem seems to have subsided for her.

Then... I changed my own Norton installation from Norton Internet Security to Norton Security with Backup.. and five minutes after I do this I get the same BSOD with the same bugcheck!!

From what I can tell the 0xdf error seems to be a "IMPERSONATING WORKER THREAD" error but I cannot find out how fix this other than usual update drivers etc. Can I find out exactly which programme is causing this? Could it really be Norton or is that just a coincidence? I really don't want to have to do a clean Windows install. 

The full error is The bugcheck was: 0x000000df (0xfffff800033b56c0, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0x0000000000000000). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am downloading the Windows 7 SDK to be able to open the memory.dmp file now.

Here is a link to the dmp file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4qt2xojeadmxcu/MEMORY.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

Daniel

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-29T16:06:58+00:00

    I just uploaded memory dumps to norton, this issue i think is quite big. related to impersonalization worker thread. Happens on windows 7 or 10, could be related to a domain controlled environment, but not proven yet. i will advise if i hear anything.

    Cheers

    Ean

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-29T13:33:35+00:00

    OK - just finished a chat with Symantec and he said it was a known issue and was related to a certain Windows update. Surprise, surprise. I am waiting for an email from them with a fix and will post back when I have more details.

    Really surprised that I don't see a lot more complaints / posts around about this.

    Found this which hasn't been indexed by Google yet...

    Norton causing BSOD

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-29T07:27:32+00:00

    Hello,

    we have the same problem  with 4 computers with Norton Security. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-29T03:22:29+00:00

    +1

    ZZ, is right.

    fffff88003306708  fffff88007a41414*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMEFASI64.SYS<==== Norton

     SYMEFASI64+0x29414

    fffff88003306710  fffff8a018b20c38

    fffff88003306718  0000000000000000

    fffff88003306720  fffff8a018d6ca38

    fffff88003306728  0000000000000019

    fffff88003306730  fffff8a017716d58

    fffff88003306738  0000000000000019

    fffff88003306740  0000000000000001

    fffff88003306748  fffff88007a41414 SYMEFASI64+0x29414

    fffff88003306750  fffff8a00000032b

    fffff88003306758  0000000000000001

    fffff88003306760  0000000000000013

    fffff88003306768  00000000000007ff

    fffff88003306770  0000000000000019

    fffff88003306778  fffff88007ae0c11 SYMEFASI64+0xc8c11

    fffff88003306780  0000000000000019

    fffff88003306788  fffff88007b3c968 SYMEFASI64+0x124968

    fffff88003306790  fffff8a013f398a8

    fffff88003306798  fffff88007ad4ca3 SYMEFASI64+0xbcca3

    fffff880033067a0  0000000000000013

    fffff880033067a8  fffff88007aeadeb SYMEFASI64+0xd2deb

    fffff880033067b0  0000000000000019

    fffff880033067b8  0000000000000003

    fffff880033067c0  0000000000000000

    fffff880033067c8  fffff8a0185f1438

    fffff880033067d0  fffff8a018d6ca38

    fffff880033067d8  fffff88007ad5a44 SYMEFASI64+0xbda44

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T22:09:06+00:00

    I just called back into the office that was having the problem and they said the 3 computers I uninstalled Norton on have had no problems since I did that.  At least one of the two other affected computers that I did NOT uninstall Norton on (yet) did get the 0xDF error.  The second one may or may not have, as the user is out of the office today.  This means we're up to 4 1/2 hours with no problems on the computers where Norton has been uninstalled, all while Norton computers are still having blue screens.  This is quickly moving into "I think we fixed it" territory.  If it's still good in the morning, I'm going to call it fixed.

    If you're insistent on using Norton, I don't know what to tell you.  If you don't particularly care about Norton one way or another, uninstall it and replace it with something, anything else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments