Windows 7 Updates not downloading.

Anonymous
2016-04-21T22:26:45+00:00

My Windows 7 machine will not download updates.  I have the system setup for manual selection and installation of updates.  When I choose the updates I want and say download, the "Downloading updates" screen displays and does nothing.  It says it is downloading 123 updates, but it sits at 0 KB total, 0% complete.  Please help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T17:01:10+00:00

    In error I gave you instructions earlier which were appropriate to Windows 8 rather than Windows 7. Please try what follows.

    Select Start, right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Type cd\ and press ENTER. Type ensuring spaces are inserted as indicated and press the ENTER key after each line:

    REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S

    REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S

    REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S

    REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S

    REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S

    REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S

    REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S

    REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S

    Exit

    Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter again:

    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=231149

    Please provide the exact details of any problem it reports as not fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T16:12:40+00:00

    Please set automatic update search to "Never check for updates", restart and try again.

    Regards, VZ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T02:14:52+00:00

    One hour later, still "searching for updates on this computer."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T01:08:36+00:00

    I tried to download the update. Windows Update Standalone Installer opens.  It searches for updates on my computer.  That's where it stops.  It keeps searching endlessly.  Doesn't do anything more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-05-12T08:08:52+00:00

    I can confirm that installing KB3153199 fixed the problem (Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1). Windows update started downloading updates after couple of minutes of thinking and found 14 important updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments