Windows 7 Updates not downloading.

Anonymous
2016-04-21T22:26:45+00:00

My Windows 7 machine will not download updates.  I have the system setup for manual selection and installation of updates.  When I choose the updates I want and say download, the "Downloading updates" screen displays and does nothing.  It says it is downloading 123 updates, but it sits at 0 KB total, 0% complete.  Please help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-17T23:58:33+00:00

    Of course! [face palm] Good old KB3020369! The "April 2015 servicing stack update" for new installs!

    I'm being facetious... I would NEVER have known about KB3020369 without your help, Volume Z! [Why does Microsoft make some things so hard?!] It allowed me to install KB3172605, and now Windows Update is currently chewing through 168 updates.

    You made my day. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-17T23:22:33+00:00

    New install means you have to start with KB3020369 to be able to install KB3172605.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

    Regards, VZ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-17T23:17:19+00:00

    I've run into this issue on two other machines and fixed them with KB3161608. Apparently, that's now been superseded by KB3172605. Unfortunately, Windows deems that this update is not applicable to my computer... I've tried running a few of the others mentioned here--KB3138612, KB3145739, and KB3153199--but only the first one was installed; the others were "not applicable". The Windows Update Troubleshooter doesn't find any problems, but Windows Update refuses to download anything. It's a new install, so I'm sure there are updates required! I'll let it run for another hour (we live in hope!), but you might hear from me again after that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-05T04:40:38+00:00

    Windows 10 update is not forced, is optional, except that you have opened GWX and confirmed (by mistake) the installation button that says something like: "not for now but later".

    now about Windows Update... maybe you have corrupted Windows Update folders, try use my tool to fix that first (run as admin): http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/J62uSUSQ/file.html 

    also try this: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

    Suggest you delete that zippyshare thread.  I believe it's been hacked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-07-26T06:57:44+00:00

    Install the latest version of the Windows update client, KB3161647, included in KB3172605.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

    Regards, VZ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments