Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.
I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.
Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
Hi,
In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
This is all one command BTW...
Hello,
I found a 3rd party tool that would help with what you're talking about; MiniTool Partition Wizard (downloaded from CNET). I have a GPT disk, so it looks like I'd need to convert it to an MBR disk before I can mark it to active. There is also a feature to convert it back from MBR to GPT. Is this what you have in mind?
If this is the logical next step, will the conversion from GPT to MBR change anything in my computer that can't be changed back? And if I then convert back from MBR to GPT, will it put it back the way it was before? Just making sure I don't cause changes that are permanent that I'm unable to fix.
Thank you!
Hi,
No... don't convert it... that's a whole new can of worms...
If you can't set it to Active as a GPT then that idea isn't going to work...
One thing you might try on a related note though...
Try going into your BIOS and turn off a setting called FAST BOOT and Secure Boot...
They could have a similar impact as the ACTIVE status of the partition...
They can restrict modifications during installation....
Hello,
Glad I waited to hear back from you before doing any MBR-GPT conversions. I restarted my computer and checked the BIOS boot section; I disabled Secure Boot, but didn't see anything that said Fast Boot. I was still unable to mark my drive as active.
Thank you.