Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.
I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.
Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
Hi,
In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
This is all one command BTW...
Thank you Slance310 for your suggestion. I gave it a try, by downloading onto a flash drive and then tried to install. I receive the message "We can't tell if your PC is ready to continue installing Windows 8.1. Try restarting setup." I tried several times and received the same message.
I tried using the Microsoft Fix-it after it failed the first couple of times, and that didn't help resolve the problem.
Any other suggestions?
Hi,
You may have residual stuff on your machine causing a problem, and you may have some 3rd party security software interfering...
Try doing a Disk Cleanup... after the first scan there will be a button for System Files...
This should delete any files from previous attempts...
Disable or uninstall any 3rd party security... Avast has been causing problems lately, along with some others..
Tried the Disk Cleanup and the System Files cleanup. Completely uninstalled security software, and used MCPR to get rid of residual files as well. Received the same error as before. I also tried installing from Windows Store again, and although it got further along than before, I still received the 0x80070002 error code.