Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-13T17:10:16+00:00

    SOLUTION

    Hi,

    Success! I utilized some of the info you gave me, along with some other info I found online, and was able to finally install Windows 10. 

    • Secure boot: disabled
    • Downloaded Windows 10 onto USB
    • Instead of using Setup on root drive of USB, opened Sources, clicked Setup from there
    • Two options given for installing, used second one (don't recall specific names for each)
    • Asks for windows product key (clicked will enter later)
    • Installed without files (clean boot)
    • Retrieved files, documents, pictures, favorites from recovery USB you had me make

    I was able to reinstall my McAfee from their website. The only thing I have lost at this point is my Microsoft Office 2013, which I will need to either purchase or obtain from the HUP group I purchased it from. 

    I want to thank you for all of your help and patience with getting me to this point. I couldn't have done it without you. Along with successfully installing Windows 10, I learned a great deal. 

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-13T18:08:41+00:00

    Hi,

    That's great... and you're more than welcome...

    You're researching made helping a lot easier...

    The first options were to either download updates now, or not to download updates BTW...

    Were you able to do this directly from Win 8 or did you manage to get 8.1 to install as well?

    Is everything now activated properly... with a Digital Entitlement ?

    That's how I learned most of what I know... trying to fix failures...

    I had a unbelievable amount of trouble with a HP XP machine years ago...

    I can't even begin to guess how many hours I spent on the phone with HP Support...

    I've been building my own Desktops ever since...

    Unfortunately that isn't so easy when it comes to laptops ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-13T19:35:27+00:00

    Hi,

    Something I just thought of concerning your Office 2013...

    There should be a C:\Windows.old folder that contains all of your old program files and stuff...

    I don't know if what you need is a key or installation files, but sometimes installation files are in with the program files...

    If the issue is the key, it may also be in the Windows.old folder if you could find where to look...

    Anyway... Congratulations on getting your Win 10 !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments