Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.
I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.
Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
Hi,
In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
This is all one command BTW...
Hi,
Here is something I found concerning the error code you were getting...
It mentions that on some machines the Windows partition on the HDD is not marked as "Active"...
http://superuser.com/questions/661890/windows-8-1-install-error-0x80070002
The suggestion is to mark it as "Active", but the problem is that a 3rd party tool would be required to do that...
If you want to try that I can provide some info and a link for the free program
Hello,
I was within Win 8 when I tried the upgrade; no booting from the USB drive. At this point it seems like I'm at a dead end. Nothing I try seems to work. I guess I will keep searching the web to see if I can locate a solution.
Thank you again for all of your time and assistance with this. I very much appreciate it!
Hi,
I would only suggest trying the upgrade again...
If you have the time, you might also try downloading the Win 8.1 installation ISO again and see if you have better luck with it...
One thing I forgot to ask about when you tried the upgrade from the flash drive...
Did you run there upgrade from within Win 8, or boot from the flash drive ?
Just in case there was any confusion about that, you need to run the upgrade from within Win 8...
It is now supposedly possible to install Win 10 directly with a Win 7, 8, 8.1 key, but that would be a clean install and all of your preinstalled stuff would be lost...
Since your key is probably stored in the BIOS of your machine, I'm not 100% sure a direst installation of Win 10 would detect it.. It should, but I actually don't know for sure..
Microsoft has recently changed the way the process can work...