Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T17:29:53+00:00

    Hi,

    I tried installing 8.1 after disabling the Secure Boot, and it did start to install. It got to the point where it said your computer will restart shortly, and then an error box popped up: Windows 8.1 installation has failed. Only option was to click okay, or X out. There was no explanation as to why it failed. 

    I'm game for trying to install Windows 10, but my guess is that it will stall out at the same place. I'm also concerned about doing a clean install and losing my existing software (all purchased online a few years ago; not sure if I can re-install it. 

    Any further steps to take after disabling the Secure Boot in BIOS?

    Thank you! I think we're making progress.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T16:15:50+00:00

    Hi,

    The Secure Boot won't change anything with the active issue, but it can block any changes the installation may try to make to the drive during the installation...

    FAST BOOT may be in another area, and it may not even exist on your machine.

    The different manufacturer's seem to have tossed "Standardization" out the window with the new UEFI Bios setups..

    Try running your Win 8.1 upgrade again with it off...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T16:03:13+00:00

    Hi,

    Something else I just thought of, and it may or may not be something you are interested in..

    It is now supposedly possible to go directly from Win 8 to 10 by doing a clean install of Win 10... The new build that was released in November is supposed to use the Win 8 key. This is to eliminate the need to upgrade to Win 8.1 first...

    You would lose any preinstalled stuff on your machine, but some of it may be replaceable from the manufacturers website...

    I have never tested this.. all my machines had been upgraded before this went into effect...

    If you have a external HDD or extra internal HDD you could make an image of your current HDD and restore it later if disaster should strike... I had never tried Microsoft's newer imaging feature until recently, but it actually worked surprisingly well..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments