Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-10T21:29:27+00:00

    Hi,

    I don't think you missed a step... it should have rebooted...

    I don't know why you are getting so many weird error messages though...

    Especially the System Configuration error...

    Do you still have the ISO... You might try running it on a Virtual Drive...

    That is actually how I do all of my upgrades...

    Here's a link to the free one I use... http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

    Once it's installed, just right click on the ISO and select Mount...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-10T21:15:47+00:00

    Hi,

    I found a workaround for the safe boot problem (hold shift key while restarting), and was able to enter safe mode with network. When I tried to install Windows 8.1 from the USB, it went through the preparation 100%, but nothing else happened after that. It went back to my desktop. Tried it again, same result. Did I miss a step?

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-10T20:40:03+00:00

    Hi,

    I was able to select Safe Boot, Network, but received the following error message when I clicked Apply:

    "System configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reverted.

    The system cannot find the file specified."

    When I went to the link you provided to download Windows 8.1 ISO, I chose Windows 8.1, not pro or RT. 

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments