Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T17:30:12+00:00

    Hi,

    At this point there are not a lot of options... at least not good ones for you...

    I would normally suggest doing a REFRESH of Windows, but then you would lose some of the stuff you mentioned...

    There has to be some type of corruption in your current Windows that is causing this...

    At every step it seems you are getting error of some type which don't happen on my machine... 

    If you were going to lose the stuff anyway, you could go directly to Win 8.1... or even Win 10...

    If you wanted to try restoring to "Out Of Box" and doing the upgrade, that would be an option, but again, you will lose stuff...

    Some of the Dell features may be downloadable and reinstalled, but I couldn't say for sure...

    I'm willing to continue with this as long as you are... I will leave that up to you...

    If you ever want to get the free upgrade to Win 10, you may need to just start over sometime between now and July 2016...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-11T16:47:10+00:00

    Hello,

    I think I have tried everything at this point. 

    • McAfee uninstalled + MCRP used to eliminated leftover files
    • Secure boot disabled
    • Safe mode boot
    • Internet connected, internet disconnected
    • ISO used to install
    • Log-in removed upon booting
    • No knowledge of language packs being installed unless it was defaulted.

    At this point the installation begins, and then eventually hits the installation failed error code.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-10T21:58:32+00:00

    Hi,

    Another thing... Do you have any language packs installed ?

    There have been issues with those blocking upgrades and need to be uninstalled if you have any.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments