Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T23:03:34+00:00

    Hi,

    Have you tried bypassing Windows Update completely and upgrading with media or a ISO from this link ?

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T18:30:10+00:00

    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked for me. I have tried Microsoft Fix-It several times, with no success. I attempted the steps shown in Vivian's link, but after getting an error message, realized that this was for computers that already have Windows 8.1 and are trying to update. I have Windows 8, and cannot upgrade to Windows 8.1. I then attempted the steps shown in William's link and additional blog, and that did not work either. 

    Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-24T07:56:36+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

    As per the issue description you are getting error code 0x80070002 while installing updates on your computer. In addition to that you are unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1. This problem occurs when some files in the Windows Update are missing, even though the update is downloaded and extracted successfully.

    I would suggest you to refer the article mentioned below to fix the error code issue.

    Windows Update error "0x80070002" or "0x80070003"

    If you are unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1, I would suggest you to try the steps provided by Vivian Samartha replied on 12 April, 2014in the following thread and see if it works for you. 

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8\_1-windows\_install/kb2919355-windows-81-update-fails-800f0092-and/4d4d23a3-695a-4bd4-b340-d2ce9c75919d

    If issue still persists after trying the steps provided above, I would request you to follow the steps provided by David Williams Dixon in the Blog provided below.

    Something happened and the install of Windows 8.1 can't be completed. (And now you're annoyed)

    Do let us know if the steps provided help you in upgrading the computer to Windows 8.1.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments