Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T21:54:21+00:00

    Hi,

    That should be plenty... Do you have a external HDD ?

    The reason I ask is that the way things are going I am concerned about the possibility the upgrade may start and then lock and\or crash...

    It might be a really good idea to have a backup image of your HDD before going much further... I would hate for you to lose a bunch of stuff that may be difficult to replace...

    If you go to the Backup area in All Settings you will see something on the lower left corner concerning a System Image... About all you need to do is to select it and then choose a different HDD to save it on...

    One thing I was thinking you might try would be to unhook your Internet Connection...

    There were issues with some of the upgrades when they first started that the upgrade wouldn't run with the internet hooked up... Something about some of the drivers that were being downloaded in the very first step... before the first reboot..

    If that is the case, the drivers will eventually install after the upgrade completes..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T19:52:52+00:00

    My hard drive has a capacity of 457.13 GB, and my free space is 392.76 GB (86% free). Did the Disk Cleanup and System Files as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-08T18:32:38+00:00

    Hi,

    How much free space do you have on your HDD ? You should probably have at least 25GB...

    Try doing a Disk Cleanup up... after the first scan there will be a button for "System Files".. There could be a lot there...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments