Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-04T11:53:02+00:00

    Hello,

    So what would you recommend for my next step since the DISM command didn't work (McAfee uninstalled and MCRP run)? I'm starting to lose hope.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T23:42:29+00:00

    Hi,

    The Install.wim will be in the Sources folder on the Flash Drive...

    It may also be in a hidden file... C:$Windows~BT if you still have one...

    Recently some of the downloads have been using Install.esd instead of the Install.wim...

    I'm not familiar with a DISM function that uses Install.wim, but there are a lot of things the DISM will do...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T20:08:13+00:00

    Hi,

    I know the one you're talking about, the MCPR. I can try uninstalling McAfee, running that program, and trying this all again. Can't hurt to try. I read in another article something about an install.wim and the dism.exe commands. Ever heard of that, and know if I need that file. I was only able to locate boot.wim, but no install.wim on my computer and the flash drive file. 

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments