Installation of Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0x80070002 & Other Installation Problems

Anonymous
2015-10-23T13:04:12+00:00

I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.

I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-11T18:50:58+00:00

Hi,

There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...

Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...

Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-12-02T16:14:48+00:00

Hi,

In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

This is all one command BTW...

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T17:02:08+00:00

    Hi,

    I just realized that you had mentioned having McAffee installed...

    There have been a lot of issues with McAffee interfering with upgrades...

    Disabling it is usually not enough...

    McAffee has a tool available to remove it which is much better than uninstalling it...

    I'm not 100% sure if you run the tool instead of uninstalling, or if you uninstall first...

    In this link it mentions uninstalling first...

    https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=_n9oyiNuUSLW1HiuQElnP0Vsjq-VQidiFeyAFAqbHbwVy0ORveal!1885748461!1391230488?articleId=TS101331&_afrLoop=1430735580664150#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D1430735580664150%26articleId%3DTS101331%26centerWidth%3D100%2525%26leftWidth%3D0%2525%26rightWidth%3D0%2525%26showFooter%3Dfalse%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Dp6qtu842a_4

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T16:39:22+00:00

    Hello,

    I gave that a try and received the same error message and code as before. I downloaded the file to a new flash drive to make sure I had the correct one. Still no luck. Any suggestions?

    Thank you,

    Karen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-02T15:50:40+00:00

    I hate to have to ask this, but what is the file name (or path) that I am directing it to on the flash drive? I know what drive the flash drive is on, but am unsure of the rest of it. Thanks again for all your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments