Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.
I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.
Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
Hi,
In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
This is all one command BTW...
Hi,
You should be able to redirect it to the flash drive you made.
Hello,
I tried running sfc /scannow, but still received the same error message when trying to install windows 8.1. There was no error message after running sfc /scannow. I then went to the DISM repair link you provided, and ran
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. This is the result:
"The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired.
Error: 0x800f081f
DISM failed. No operation performed."
My laptop did not come with a Windows CD (no drive), so I don't have another source to direct it to. Any suggestions?
Hi,
Try running sfc /scannow and see what happens...
If that doesn't help, take a look at this link for the DISM repair...