Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I currently have Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have been trying, unsuccessfully to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Initially I received the error code 0x80070002; my installation had failed. I tried multiple "solutions" such as doing a clean boot, installing/uninstalling KB2871389 file. I tried the Windows Fix-It download, and even turned off my McAfee security briefly. If I'm able to get rid of the error code, I receive another error message that states the installation failed, try again or cancel; no error code. If I am able to get this message cleared, the 0x80070002 code returns. I have also read about dual hard drives, and found nothing in my system that pertained to this.
I do not have anything connected to my laptop except for a wireless mouse. I am hardwired to a network. I have searched for every possible solution for the error code and the other problem, and nothing works. Like I said, I get rid of one error code only to receive an error message, and vice versa. At this point I would like to update to Windows 8.1 simply to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.
Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
There is something else that I am not sure you are aware of...
Sometime in Jan. 2016 support ends for Win 8... No more updates...
Existing updates can be installed, but there will be no more new ones, security or otherwise.
Hi,
In this example, you would simply replace the C:\ with the letter of your Flash Drive...
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
This is all one command BTW...
Hi,
Something else I just thought of... If you are using a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account you might want to temporarily switch...
Another thing... are you sure you have the correct version of Win 8.1 for your machine ?
Hi,
Without knowing whether you use a password or Microsoft Account, the best bet is simply to set the password to a blank box...
Go to Control Panel... User Accounts... Manage Another Account...
Click on your Account and another window will open..
There will be a place to Create or Change Password...
Basically create a new password of just clicking in the box...
Be sure to test it before switching on SAFE BOOT...
For the MSCONFIG and SAFE BOOT problem... Try right clicking on the Windows Icon on the lower left of the Desktop and select Command Prompt (Admin)...
Then enter the msconfig... it may need to have elevated permission to change the setting...
I wouldn't worry about the Normal or Selective Startup boxes... Mine have been set as selective for ever on all OS's... It seems that "Selective" is now the new Default...
I would leave your BIOS settings as they currently are for now... off...
Hello,
Got myself a recovery USB and a back-up image on an external hard drive. I'm having problems with permanently turning off the log-in password requirement when booting up. I get it to turn off, and then it changes when I boot up again. Also, when I run msconfig, in the boot tab it will not allow me to click any of the boxes. They are not grayed out, they just don't let me change them. One last item. I tried to change the boot-up to Normal, because it was on selective. It lets me change it, but defaults back to Selective after rebooting.
There is obviously something very wrong with this set-up. When I tried to do my system image, I received an error message. I was able to find a solution online that worked. Strange though.
So at this point I need a solution to be able to change the boot-up to Safe Boot. Should I also leave the BIOS secure boot disabled?
Thank you.