Reboot takes more than 4 minutes!

Anonymous
2015-12-20T11:32:39+00:00

I made a backup of my Windows 7. It includes a system image. Following this, the computer takes 4 minutes to reboot on every boot!

If I perform the very same backup without a system image, there is no impact on the boot time which is then around 30 seconds...

What happens?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T07:37:00+00:00

    Hello Olivier,

    Thank you for responding.

    I would suggest you to run this Microsoft hotfix and check.

    Refer:

    Startup takes a long time on a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an Intel Nehalem-EX CPU installed

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/983460

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T07:25:42+00:00

    The problem isn't with shutdown time but with boot time, startup time!!!

    You want to drive me crazy apparently!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T07:20:04+00:00

    Hello Olivier,

    Thank you for the update.

    I appreciate your efforts and concern.

    As boot time is lesser and Windows is taking longer to shutdown before restart, please refer suggestions from

    apster replied on February 24, 2010 and check if it helps.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-is-very-slow-to-shutdown/fb35a679-c9b8-4a97-95c4-39c60e218130

    Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

    Please keep us posted.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T07:00:04+00:00

    Hello,

    Don't you have better advices than updating BIOS, drivers and firmwares? This is one of the first things I did and you know what? It was a complete disaster... The BIOS update broke my RAID array and I lost a lot of data as a result of that... So I have dropped RAID, it isn't stable enough with Windows...

    Still my problem remains. If a backup includes a system image, then Windows takes 4 minutes to reboot...

    Regards,

    Olivier

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T05:31:21+00:00

    Hello Olivier,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I appreciate your patience.

    I would suggest you to update BIOS, chipset and firmware drivers from the computer manufacturer's website and check.

    Refer:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15048/windows-7-update-driver-hardware-not-working-properly

    Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments