Reboot takes more than 4 minutes!

Anonymous
2015-12-20T11:32:39+00:00

I made a backup of my Windows 7. It includes a system image. Following this, the computer takes 4 minutes to reboot on every boot!

If I perform the very same backup without a system image, there is no impact on the boot time which is then around 30 seconds...

What happens?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-06T07:20:56+00:00

    Hello Olivier,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I hope that you may have tried performing in-place upgrade.

    Please reply with results.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T19:14:05+00:00

    Same for me, no previous versions available.

    System protection is only set on System Drive for my computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T12:35:22+00:00

    One probably last thing from me for today.

    I created a Windows backup with System image on my D drive and right clicked the folder called WindowsImageBackup and and chose to 'Restore previous versions' and there are none (because that drive is not being monitored):

    What does yours say?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T12:20:35+00:00

    Did you check/adjust the System Protection Properties so only your system drive is monitored?  That seemed to work for a couple people.

    If you want to experiment you can tell Windows NOT to check the drive for consistency where the backup is stored knowing that someday the drive may really have a problem that needs to be fixed and Windows won't try to fix it.

    For the experiment first open a command prompt as Administrator:

    Then run each of these command separately and tell us what they say:

    fsutil  dirty  query  c: 

    fsutil  dirty  query  f:

    Are the volumes dirty or NOT dirty?

    Now you can tell Windows NOT to check the integrity on the volume where your large backup is (if that is F) with this command:

    chkntfs  /x  f:

    That tells Windows NOT to check drive F when Windows starts...  when you reboot with the image backup are things better?  If so you could leave it like that but if there ever really is an integrity problem (if the volume becomes dirty for some reason) Windows will not know about it or try to fix it.

    After the experiment you can (and probably should) set things back to normal with this command:

    chkntfs  /d

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T12:01:55+00:00

    I did all I could from a H/W and S/W point of view. I don't use external drives. I upgraded to latest BIOS release. I updated all the drivers I could update.

    You are probably right when you say that one difference between the backups with and without system images is their size. Still Microsoft should offer a solution for this. This is a S/W problem. Windows is taking ages to boot because of this issue.

    Windows includes solutions for RAID, backups, antivirus, etc... We all know those are far from being perfect but these are part of Windows and supposed to work. If they don't work, this is Microsoft problem. I have paid huge money for my Windows 7 Pro license so they need to make it work. I don't see why I would pay for an external solution to workaround a bug in Windows.

    I now expect Microsoft to come back to me asap and debug the issue by themselves. I have spent already more than 100 hours debugging the issue and this is way enough for a MS bug...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments