definition update for windows defender fails over and over in Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-11-22T17:38:05+00:00

Windows Update fails to install Defender definitions updates, KB KB2267602, error code 0x80070643. I   have contacted Microsoft Support 3 times to no avail. The problem is not that I want to allow the update to install 1 time, I AM NOT USING DEFENDER. I am using Norton Security and so Defender is turned off properly but the definition files are still pushed out through Update and then fail when installation is attempted. Since I am not going to be using Defender I need a solution that will not involve turning off my AV software, turning on Defender, installing the update (which there are sometimes multiple ones per day) and then turning Defender back off and turning my AV back on, which is what they have all done to "fix" the problem.

I know Microsoft wants to push all updates but there needs to be a way for Update to check if Defender is on and then NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE UPDATE or let it be installed without needing Defender turned on so that there is no error. As it is now the error happens, Update states that it failed and will keep trying to install it later which will always fail. As I said I have dealt with 2 support engineers and 1 supervisor and all they have done after hours of trying to "fix" the problem is get the failed definition to install insisting that the problem is now fixed- they turn Norton off or uninstall it, turn Defender on, install the definitions then turn Defender back off and Norton back on or make me reinstall it. I am not going to do this multiple times each day.

One engineer went so far as to say the problem is because Norton Security is *NOT* compatible with Windows 10 and went even further to say that because I am using it I now have viruses and corrupt files. I pushed back and he started backing down by suggesting it was his opinion that Norton doesn't work. I continued to press and ask whether this was officially Microsoft's position or not and he would not answer. I got Norton on the phone and he could hardly speak. Norton did what it should when installed- it properly turned off Defender and every indication is that is off.

There is no reason to install definition updates when there is other active AV software and Defender is off. Why can't Microsoft supply a permanent way of "fixing" this issue??? Do they want errors on Windows Update?? I don't and I don't need my computer constantly trying to install updates that will fail each time.

[Moved from Windows]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-01-10T23:13:52+00:00

Updated 13 Jan 2015 - The apparent solution I posted was wrong so I have deleted it and replaced it with the fix that does work.

Comments:

I had used the tool provided in How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 to hide KB2267602 but this was inadequate.  The tool only hid the current version of the KB so when the KB with updated definitions was later released, Windows update saw it as a new update and the whole download, install, fail process repeated itself.

I contacted Norton support and, after a lot of pointless toing & froing {they must be paid by the hour}, they stopped denying that it was a shortcoming in Norton that produced this strange disabled-yet-still-updating state of Windows Defender.  I asked for a full refund of my subscription and got it. 

So now I have reverted to Windows Defender on my Windows 10 computer and have reinstalled MSSE on my Windows 7.  All in all, this has cost me two weeks of my limited data allowance in the space of a couple of days.  After I had removed Norton, I stumbled across a claimed solution that actually works:

The fix that does work

In Solved Defender and KB2267602 update failure - Windows 10 Forums, a Norton user reported multiple symptoms including the one that is the subject of this thread {it is not worded very clearly so you might need to read it a few times to realise this}.  The solution is to put in a Registry key that completely disables Defender and puts an end to these failed updates - see Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums.  The user did not give any link to the solution so I searched for it and the link I have given matches the title & the author's name given by that Norton user and it is clearly aimed at the problem users in this thread have been experiencing.

As you'll see on the next page of this thread, Jeffrey has since applied this fix and it works. 

He ran the Norton Removal Tool,

applied the fix to completely turn off Windows Defender - Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

then re-installed Norton.

I suspect that the problem is the result of an undetected Norton installation error.  That would explain why some users have not experienced this problem and why others have reported that the problem was cured by reinstalling Norton [in some cases after manually disabling all Windows Defender entries in Settings, Update & security, Windows Defender before even starting the reinstallation].

Best of luck,

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T20:50:21+00:00

    Hi Jeffrey,

    Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

    KB2267602is the latest Definition update for Windows Defender. Some updates require administrative permissions to be installed. Therefore, signing in as an administrator may help resolve the issue, also if you are using any third party security software on the computer then you may face issues with installing the Windows Defender update.

    Let’s follow the methods to try and fix the issue.

    Method 1: Windows Update troubleshooter.

    Run the Windows Update troubleshooter to try and fix the issue. Refer to the link to run the troubleshooter:

    I request you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check it helps.

    • I search bar Type Troubleshooter and click on Troubleshooting;
    • Click on the Find and Fix problems tile and then click on the view all button the left pane.
    • Click on the Windows update troubleshooter and run it.

    Method 2: Reset Windows Update components and test the issue.

    I suggest you to reset Windows Updates Components. Resetting Windows Update Components and the Windows Update files helps to fix Windows Update errors.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

    Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

    Backup the registry: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

    Note: To reset the computer to normal mode after troubleshooting, please refer to “**How to reset the computer to start as usual”**from the above article.

    If the issue persists, I would suggest you to manually download the latest definition updates for Windows Defender.

    How to manually download the latest definition updates for Windows Defender

    **http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159**

    I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T11:30:38+00:00

    I just don't get it. To say "also if you are using any third party security software on the computer then you may face issues with installing the Windows Defender update" is totally unsatisfactory" Norton Security is not causing a problem, Widows Update and Defender are. As it should, installing Norton turned off Defender yet MS is still pushing definition updates and trying to install them which they know will fail and generate errors.

    I have tried your suggestions as have the 3 support people I said I spoke to at MS to no avail. Can someone answer these questions:

    1- Why must you try and install definition updates when Defender is off?

    2- Or why don't you allow the files to be installed even if Defender is off?

    3-Or if Defender is off why don't you just squelch the errors as it is NOT REALLY AN ERROR IT IS DESIGNED TO DO THAT?

    I am frustrated at Microsoft's responses so far. Does anyone out there know of a solution that has actually worked and not just for the one error shown as failing but stops the error from happening each time a new definition update is pushed? Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-28T11:15:09+00:00

    I have absolutely the same situation.

    The problem occurred after installing Norton360 (ver. 22.5.5.15). Thus, the problem of incorrect work of Windows Update really exist. Moreover, the error 0x80070643 Windows Defender occurs in a significant number of users after the installation of third-party anti-virus applications.

    As the author of this topic, it seems to me that the Microsoft development team needs to find a valid  fix this problem. Then Microsoft Support Engineers should not to forget to inform and please their users is very sad ;/(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-28T11:51:13+00:00

    And!

    The main question which should be answered here clearly:

    Is whether the problem will impede the proper installation of OS updates, and other Microsoft products, or will only be present as a constant irritating factor?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments