definition update for windows defender fails over and over in Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-11-22T17:38:05+00:00

Windows Update fails to install Defender definitions updates, KB KB2267602, error code 0x80070643. I   have contacted Microsoft Support 3 times to no avail. The problem is not that I want to allow the update to install 1 time, I AM NOT USING DEFENDER. I am using Norton Security and so Defender is turned off properly but the definition files are still pushed out through Update and then fail when installation is attempted. Since I am not going to be using Defender I need a solution that will not involve turning off my AV software, turning on Defender, installing the update (which there are sometimes multiple ones per day) and then turning Defender back off and turning my AV back on, which is what they have all done to "fix" the problem.

I know Microsoft wants to push all updates but there needs to be a way for Update to check if Defender is on and then NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE UPDATE or let it be installed without needing Defender turned on so that there is no error. As it is now the error happens, Update states that it failed and will keep trying to install it later which will always fail. As I said I have dealt with 2 support engineers and 1 supervisor and all they have done after hours of trying to "fix" the problem is get the failed definition to install insisting that the problem is now fixed- they turn Norton off or uninstall it, turn Defender on, install the definitions then turn Defender back off and Norton back on or make me reinstall it. I am not going to do this multiple times each day.

One engineer went so far as to say the problem is because Norton Security is *NOT* compatible with Windows 10 and went even further to say that because I am using it I now have viruses and corrupt files. I pushed back and he started backing down by suggesting it was his opinion that Norton doesn't work. I continued to press and ask whether this was officially Microsoft's position or not and he would not answer. I got Norton on the phone and he could hardly speak. Norton did what it should when installed- it properly turned off Defender and every indication is that is off.

There is no reason to install definition updates when there is other active AV software and Defender is off. Why can't Microsoft supply a permanent way of "fixing" this issue??? Do they want errors on Windows Update?? I don't and I don't need my computer constantly trying to install updates that will fail each time.

[Moved from Windows]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-01-10T23:13:52+00:00

Updated 13 Jan 2015 - The apparent solution I posted was wrong so I have deleted it and replaced it with the fix that does work.

Comments:

I had used the tool provided in How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 to hide KB2267602 but this was inadequate.  The tool only hid the current version of the KB so when the KB with updated definitions was later released, Windows update saw it as a new update and the whole download, install, fail process repeated itself.

I contacted Norton support and, after a lot of pointless toing & froing {they must be paid by the hour}, they stopped denying that it was a shortcoming in Norton that produced this strange disabled-yet-still-updating state of Windows Defender.  I asked for a full refund of my subscription and got it. 

So now I have reverted to Windows Defender on my Windows 10 computer and have reinstalled MSSE on my Windows 7.  All in all, this has cost me two weeks of my limited data allowance in the space of a couple of days.  After I had removed Norton, I stumbled across a claimed solution that actually works:

The fix that does work

In Solved Defender and KB2267602 update failure - Windows 10 Forums, a Norton user reported multiple symptoms including the one that is the subject of this thread {it is not worded very clearly so you might need to read it a few times to realise this}.  The solution is to put in a Registry key that completely disables Defender and puts an end to these failed updates - see Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums.  The user did not give any link to the solution so I searched for it and the link I have given matches the title & the author's name given by that Norton user and it is clearly aimed at the problem users in this thread have been experiencing.

As you'll see on the next page of this thread, Jeffrey has since applied this fix and it works. 

He ran the Norton Removal Tool,

applied the fix to completely turn off Windows Defender - Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

then re-installed Norton.

I suspect that the problem is the result of an undetected Norton installation error.  That would explain why some users have not experienced this problem and why others have reported that the problem was cured by reinstalling Norton [in some cases after manually disabling all Windows Defender entries in Settings, Update & security, Windows Defender before even starting the reinstallation].

Best of luck,

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-21T17:43:55+00:00

    I had the same problem. It would deny me access to some websites due to windows not being updated. I went to Norton and and did the "update and reinstall". Afterwards I went to the update and the Defender update had disappeared and my access to denied sites had been restored. I wish I had seen your fix earlier, but I didn't. This fix works and all had to do is work at it for 5 hours. I have never used Defender and I will leave it up to" the experts" to determine if Microsoft or Norton is to blame.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-11T13:05:46+00:00

    there is a fix that one of the users on this page found. It is not a Microsoft product but it works. You can use your anti-virus, use automatic updates without getting the Fail message. Here is a link to download the fix:

    defender update fix

    Many people who posted here have downloaded the fix successfully.

    Follow these steps or the ones under option 2 for turning Defender off. You will be able to turn it back on if for some reason you decide to use Defender in the future.

    Here are the steps:

    1. uninstall Norton using the Norton Removal Tool- Norton Removal Tool
    2. Download and run the turn-off defender .reg file- turn-off-defender tool (option 2, step 3). Click Yes every time you are asked if you want to continue.
    3. reinstall Norton- go to Norton site and follow directions to download Norton to "This Computer".

    Seems Microsoft never came up with this because they want to force people to use Defender.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-10T21:36:23+00:00

    Congratulations Jeffery - you TOO have entered "Windows Defender Insanity Land", a special place invented by, constructed by, and then totally DISAVOWED by Microsoft.  They said EXACTLY the same thing to me until I finally uninstalled my antivirus (BitDefender) AND all my spam-fighters just in case Microsoft claims any of them to be 'full-fledged' antivirus programs, which they are NOT.   So now, just like you, I can no longer run automatic updates. This means Microsoft mis-handling of WIndows Defender, placed me in the position to be forced to do what MS does NOT advise, which is selectively installing your own windows updates yourself.  In my case, even this doesn't work now, because my Win 8.1 Lenovo-G780 (running flawlessly 2.5 years), until this Microsoft Windows Defender debacle, my PC refuses to run ANY updates because it places the new Windows Defender update (KB2267602) as a minimum requirment to install before it installs any other pending updates (214 in my case).  It looks like Microsoft has a real bad issue here, because once Defender gets marked as if there is an active antivirus present,  neither installing nor uninstalling the antivirus is capable of forcing either Windows 8.1 OR 10.0 to Flip" the status of Windows Defender correctly so that it starts work again with no antivirus present, which also means it will allow windows update to run to completion.  Now if it's shut off (status of having an antivirus present) ALSO stops windows updates from running, because it won't run any updates until it can run KB2267602 to completion.  If you enter the registry key for Windows Defender and try to edit the sub-key "DisableAntiSpyware" (1=Yes, disable WD, 0=No, run WD, I think) so that it can match the real world. But I fear that Windows will NOT even allow flipping these values be performed. Windows does allow the advanced registry tweaker to take ownership over a registry key and force the change, but this is getting pretty shaky, since it'a against apparent Microsoft design, although this step does look like it's the only way out of the predicament that Microsoft has put us into.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-13T20:36:58+00:00

    Same problem only adware related. A firewall rule was found in the registry left by Lucky Browse which  I was unable to locate in windows programs & features . I may have uninstalled the offending extension but not the entire payload. After removing the key with a non MS program I was able to update and scan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments