definition update for windows defender fails over and over in Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-11-22T17:38:05+00:00

Windows Update fails to install Defender definitions updates, KB KB2267602, error code 0x80070643. I   have contacted Microsoft Support 3 times to no avail. The problem is not that I want to allow the update to install 1 time, I AM NOT USING DEFENDER. I am using Norton Security and so Defender is turned off properly but the definition files are still pushed out through Update and then fail when installation is attempted. Since I am not going to be using Defender I need a solution that will not involve turning off my AV software, turning on Defender, installing the update (which there are sometimes multiple ones per day) and then turning Defender back off and turning my AV back on, which is what they have all done to "fix" the problem.

I know Microsoft wants to push all updates but there needs to be a way for Update to check if Defender is on and then NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE UPDATE or let it be installed without needing Defender turned on so that there is no error. As it is now the error happens, Update states that it failed and will keep trying to install it later which will always fail. As I said I have dealt with 2 support engineers and 1 supervisor and all they have done after hours of trying to "fix" the problem is get the failed definition to install insisting that the problem is now fixed- they turn Norton off or uninstall it, turn Defender on, install the definitions then turn Defender back off and Norton back on or make me reinstall it. I am not going to do this multiple times each day.

One engineer went so far as to say the problem is because Norton Security is *NOT* compatible with Windows 10 and went even further to say that because I am using it I now have viruses and corrupt files. I pushed back and he started backing down by suggesting it was his opinion that Norton doesn't work. I continued to press and ask whether this was officially Microsoft's position or not and he would not answer. I got Norton on the phone and he could hardly speak. Norton did what it should when installed- it properly turned off Defender and every indication is that is off.

There is no reason to install definition updates when there is other active AV software and Defender is off. Why can't Microsoft supply a permanent way of "fixing" this issue??? Do they want errors on Windows Update?? I don't and I don't need my computer constantly trying to install updates that will fail each time.

[Moved from Windows]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-01-10T23:13:52+00:00

Updated 13 Jan 2015 - The apparent solution I posted was wrong so I have deleted it and replaced it with the fix that does work.

Comments:

I had used the tool provided in How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 to hide KB2267602 but this was inadequate.  The tool only hid the current version of the KB so when the KB with updated definitions was later released, Windows update saw it as a new update and the whole download, install, fail process repeated itself.

I contacted Norton support and, after a lot of pointless toing & froing {they must be paid by the hour}, they stopped denying that it was a shortcoming in Norton that produced this strange disabled-yet-still-updating state of Windows Defender.  I asked for a full refund of my subscription and got it. 

So now I have reverted to Windows Defender on my Windows 10 computer and have reinstalled MSSE on my Windows 7.  All in all, this has cost me two weeks of my limited data allowance in the space of a couple of days.  After I had removed Norton, I stumbled across a claimed solution that actually works:

The fix that does work

In Solved Defender and KB2267602 update failure - Windows 10 Forums, a Norton user reported multiple symptoms including the one that is the subject of this thread {it is not worded very clearly so you might need to read it a few times to realise this}.  The solution is to put in a Registry key that completely disables Defender and puts an end to these failed updates - see Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums.  The user did not give any link to the solution so I searched for it and the link I have given matches the title & the author's name given by that Norton user and it is clearly aimed at the problem users in this thread have been experiencing.

As you'll see on the next page of this thread, Jeffrey has since applied this fix and it works. 

He ran the Norton Removal Tool,

applied the fix to completely turn off Windows Defender - Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

then re-installed Norton.

I suspect that the problem is the result of an undetected Norton installation error.  That would explain why some users have not experienced this problem and why others have reported that the problem was cured by reinstalling Norton [in some cases after manually disabling all Windows Defender entries in Settings, Update & security, Windows Defender before even starting the reinstallation].

Best of luck,

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-12T12:38:24+00:00

    I signed up for his forum and submitted a question to him because I don't think this utility will work. It sounds like it only addresses the issue some users have of Defender continuing to turn itself back on even after being turned off. This is another problem with Defender I have heard about. I will wait for Brink's reply and post it here when I get it. I would rather not mess with the registry unless I know what I am changing in it will solve my problem so stay tuned and we'll see what he says.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-12T07:48:24+00:00

    Jeffrey, Gord, Romeyao,

    You were right & I was wrong.  The download, install, fail process started again.  I have deleted my non-solution. 

    After I had uninstalled Norton, I stumbled across a claimed solution that you might be interested in and have inserted it in my earlier post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-11T17:05:49+00:00

    While I don't doubt that this is working for you I was skeptical that it would work for me. This was one of the first things I tried with a MS support engineer but it only hides the update until the next definition updates are released. I tried it again this morning to see if the functionality was changed and as it did previously it hid the update that was then showing as failed to install in Windows Update. Unfortunately as I expected about 4 hours later MS issued a new definition update and it once again failed to install. The reason is that each definition update has a different definition number- for example the one that just failed is "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.2537.0)". This makes it a unique download and it will not match the one I hid earlier which had a different definition number. They do this to insure the latest version is installed. So the problem still exists. I don't know how it is not still happening on your system as MS issues numerous definition updates each day- sometimes as much as 5 or 6 just like Norton does with their LiveUpdate process.

    We still need MS to resolve this problem. Just don't hold your breath as their arrogance won't let them admit the design of the update facility is **** poor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-11T00:54:11+00:00

    Like Gordon Hopkins, it seems that this annoying phenomenon stopped on January 4th. so I have not attempted to use your fix, which I am sure would work base on your experience. I too have "Norton". In the last update (before Jan. 4) though, I was able to do update the Defender by "temporarily suspending some of the "Norton" conflicting antimalware and resume Norton after the update. But Like what Gord said, maybe Microsoft so9lved the problem. Thanks an d God Bless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments