Flickering screen and sign-in problems on Windows 7 after installing updates

Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:48:00+00:00

After installing Windows Update KB3097877 on Windows 7, some computers are now experiencing a flickering screen at the logon screen, or you are not able to sign in at the logon screen.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:49:15+00:00

Hi,

Hello,

We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

To resolve the issue:

  1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
  2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
  • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
  • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T18:13:57+00:00

    I have just been in live chat with Microsoft and they have said the time takes depends on configuration.  How long do I give it - 24 hours, 48 hours, a week?!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T18:15:23+00:00

    Thanks Dale, but if I can't even log in how can I enter the Event viewer?

    I think I am not the only 1 with this Problem....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T18:31:31+00:00

    No you are not the only one and Microsoft online live support is useless. Never been in one if these forums before and don't know if there's anyone who could help ne solve this? Someone from Microsoft????!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T18:33:26+00:00

    Don't you have to shut down to install the updates? I can't shut down in Windows. I have to hold down the power key to shut off my PC

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments