Flickering screen and sign-in problems on Windows 7 after installing updates

Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:48:00+00:00

After installing Windows Update KB3097877 on Windows 7, some computers are now experiencing a flickering screen at the logon screen, or you are not able to sign in at the logon screen.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:49:15+00:00

Hi,

Hello,

We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

To resolve the issue:

  1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
  2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
  • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
  • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T12:42:22+00:00

    I am a victim of the flashing pre login issue and none of your solutions work for me. 

    The blinking screen occurs in safe mode so I can't log on there either. 

    I tried repair discs from two other Windows 7 Premium Edition PC 's. Was able to load them to the point where I saw the select language screen. The  next screen said wrong configuration with a big red X.

    Repair prompt at startup doesn't work because Asus has chosen to use this to bring you to a page where you can only reimage the PC. 

    I can't get a Windows 7 installation disc from Microsoft. They said I have to go to Asus and they don't sell them. 

    So I need a way to get to System Restore from startup. Or access to a Windows 7 installation disc. Please help. I'm running out of options. 

    Flad

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T12:50:21+00:00

    Leftyab - thanks for highlighting that these updates have screwed up Outlook.

    And there's more here

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_7-update/more-damaging-windows-updates-again-outlookie11/29699cae-25ef-4e13-ae08-589a190395a4?tm=1447418847833

    You'll see in one of the Norton links a report that the re-released KB3097877 is causing other problems!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T13:29:43+00:00

    I used safe mode and went into repair my computer but after 15 hours of waiting I gave up. System restore has been running for hours now with no sign of a fix.

    I am using windows 7 64 bit and I cannot log into any user accounts! Come on microsoft lets have a straight forward fix that those of us that are not software savvy can use to get up and running again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T14:58:12+00:00

    It is possible that this problem may be able to fix itself. Microsoft may be able to repair it automatically when automatic updates are scheduled occur again.

    If your logon screen is flashing and you can't use the computer, that does not mean it is completely dead. Most of the other system components are all still working properly. If you turn on your computer and just leave it at the blinking logon screen, it can still do other things in the background even if you can't use it. Including installing new automatic updates with the rereleased KB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments