Flickering screen and sign-in problems on Windows 7 after installing updates

Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:48:00+00:00

After installing Windows Update KB3097877 on Windows 7, some computers are now experiencing a flickering screen at the logon screen, or you are not able to sign in at the logon screen.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:49:15+00:00

Hi,

Hello,

We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

To resolve the issue:

  1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
  2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
  • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
  • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T22:18:18+00:00

    Hi again.

    would you believe it? All is well again. I left the computer turned on with the user logon page in view. I left it alone for a couple of hours as the disc drive light was continually flickering. I then noticed that there was an update indicated by the computer off button. I selected this and a download was initiated .Computer then switched off and then on and hey presto I have got my computer back!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T22:18:06+00:00

    I have done this and my pc is now going through 'system restore' and has been for the last 10 hours.  How long will this take?  If I turn it off now to try something else, will that cause more problems?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T22:14:06+00:00

    Thanks - sounds very techy but might try it.  The problem is my pc is now in system restore 'restoring files' and I don't know if I should interupt this or not.  I might leave it running overnight and if it's still doing the same thing, then turn it off again and try your wife's suggestion...  This is such a pain... never had anything like this before - Microsoft online support are utterly useless - I referred them to this forum to show them what everyone else is saying about the problem and they just dismissed it and tried to get me to pay for a fix

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T20:30:32+00:00

    OK, my wifey just found a solution, press f12 after a restart to get into the bios menu, before you go into bios there is an option "trouble solution navigation", then "system repair option",  then choose Windows 7, "next"... user Name and Password, "next", "repair tool", then choose "trouble solution navigation",  choose 2nd tab "recovery",  choose the middle 1,  "C drive" (if that is where you have Windows installed),  this formats the C drive and automatically installs Windows new,  I think this only works when you have a backup for Windows on an alternative partition on your HD, other than C,  it worked for my wifey, I hope it works for you....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments