Flickering screen and sign-in problems on Windows 7 after installing updates

Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:48:00+00:00

After installing Windows Update KB3097877 on Windows 7, some computers are now experiencing a flickering screen at the logon screen, or you are not able to sign in at the logon screen.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:49:15+00:00

Hi,

Hello,

We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

To resolve the issue:

  1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
  2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
  • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
  • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-18T20:41:49+00:00

    I'm still having problems - I have a Sony Vaio with pre-installed Windows 7 so Microsoft told me I had to speak to Sony.  It took three days to get an email reply from Sony and they then gave me a link back to Microsoft to help me!  None of options on this link worked for me but I've pasted below in case it helps anyone else.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097877#%2Fen-us%2Fkb%2F3097877

    If anyone does find a solution for Sony, I'd love to hear from you.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep pestering Sony.

    Microsoft just sent me an online survey to complete about the quality of their customer service. Not many 10 out of 10s there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T20:56:19+00:00

    When I choose "Repair your Computer" it just flickers back to the same screen - as if it were trying to go somewhere but doesn't, so I can't get passed that screen. 

    When I try to boot my computer from safe mode it goes to the same "sign-in  lack of login boxes screen" that blinks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T12:54:48+00:00

    This didn't work until I connected directly to my router instead of wirelessly. THEN IT WORKED! It took about an hour.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T12:37:05+00:00

    Hi there. I have two sony computers- one a netbook running windows 7 starter and the other is an all in one touch screen . The netbook had no problems with the update but I could not log in to user accounts on the all in one. I tried the computer repair option to no avail. I tried system restore with same result. I then tried Dales suggestion of leaving the computer powered up on the login screen. Depending on when you scheduled your updates-the computer will download the updates in the background. After the updates have downloaded , you will see an icon by the turn off button on screen. Try selecting the updates and see what happens .It worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments