Flickering screen and sign-in problems on Windows 7 after installing updates

Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:48:00+00:00

After installing Windows Update KB3097877 on Windows 7, some computers are now experiencing a flickering screen at the logon screen, or you are not able to sign in at the logon screen.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:49:15+00:00

Hi,

Hello,

We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

To resolve the issue:

  1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
  2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
  • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
  • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-02T08:30:52+00:00

    Tried hitting F8 and nothing.  So frustrating, computer worked fine before.  Nothing on the screen except flashing blue/black with circles spinning in the middle.  Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-24T23:43:19+00:00

    Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.  I did look at option 3 but their wasn't an option to 'repair my computer' - funny, because I'm sure it had been there before...? Anyway, I'm not quite sure what I did next but I suddenly found an option to restore to factory settings.  As I had managed to rescue my files to a hard drive on a previous repair attempt, I thought I might as well try this.  I had written restore disks when we bought the pc so ran these and (although this hadn't worked before) it did this time! Happy days! My pc is back, no thanks whatsoever to Sony, a little bit of thanks to Microsoft for running these forum with you very helpful people (although it would have been supremely better if Microsoft hadn't issued a dodgy update in the first place).  I'm waiting for Sony to reply to me.  have been waiting since last Friday.  Very interested to see what they say.  It's outrageous we have to find these fixes on our own.  Boo hiss to Sony and Microsoft, the two baddies in this complete pantomime.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-24T03:21:46+00:00

     My desktop Sony Vaio experienced the same problem. I called Microsoft and after 3+ hours of wasted time with 3 different uncaring, indifferent, borderline rude, barely english speaking individuals I gave up when they all tried to extort $150.00 from me to talk to their "Level 2" techs.

     After having my computer not work for 2 weeks and probably another 5+ hours of online research I am pleased to say that at least Microsoft finally acknowledged the issue and offered a solution.

     By visiting https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097877 and using option #3, my computer was back up and running perfectly after doing the command line prompt fix. It's a little technical but if you follow the steps it worked for me easy. And now the problem is totally gone with no lasting ill effects.

      Hope it works for anyone else too.

      Good luck.

       CJ

    Thank-you CJ, I'll give it a try!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T22:35:00+00:00

    My desktop Sony Vaio experienced the same problem. I called Microsoft and after 3+ hours of wasted time with 3 different uncaring, indifferent, borderline rude, barely english speaking individuals I gave up when they all tried to extort $150.00 from me to talk to their "Level 2" techs.

     After having my computer not work for 2 weeks and probably another 5+ hours of online research I am pleased to say that at least Microsoft finally acknowledged the issue and offered a solution.

     By visiting https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097877 and using option #3, my computer was back up and running perfectly after doing the command line prompt fix. It's a little technical but if you follow the steps it worked for me easy. And now the problem is totally gone with no lasting ill effects.

      Hope it works for anyone else too.

      Good luck.

       CJ

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments