Hi @RickCP @PaulSey @SusanMillerVA
I'm currently back up in Maine, away from my old laptop. When I get back tomorrow, I can run my old laptop at least once more, to update it to the April patch, and see the behavior in the log.
However, I did finally upgrade my laptop. I chose an Alienware (Dell) laptop, running Windows 10 Pro 64. So far, so good. MRT ran once on April 8th, probably when I ran my first Windows Update on receiving the laptop. MRT ran again on the 12th, when the
April patch was released. It has not run since! The total log so far:
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.34, March 2016 (build 5.34.12400.0)
Started On Fri Apr 8 11:56:16 2016
Engine: 1.1.12400.0
Signatures: 1.213.7173.0
Results Summary:
No infection found.
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Fri Apr 8 11:57:16 2016
Return code: 0 (0x0)
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.35, April 2016 (build 5.35.12524.0)
Started On Tue Apr 12 15:39:47 2016
Engine: 1.1.12603.0
Signatures: 1.217.515.0
Results Summary:
No infection found.
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Apr 12 15:41:39 2016
Return code: 0 (0x0)
The above was the entire log. I'm thinking the run times are so quick because there isn't much on the new HD's yet, either apps or data. I guess this issue is resolved for me, if only because I upgraded my laptop.
Thanks to everyone for their time, effort and communication. I do have to state, at least the situation was steadily improving on my old laptop. When I first posted this thread, MRT was monopolizing my CPU, and making my poor, old laptop nonfunctional. I
had to restart it in order to be able to use it. Since February or so, I actually had to check the log to even notice MRT was still running daily on the old laptop. Both the number of times it ran, and the length of time each instance ran greatly decreased.
Best of luck to those still dealing with this issue @SusanMillerVA . I'll keep my eye on all my logs, 3 computers, just in case.