Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool runs multiple times daily - not once per month as expected

Anonymous
2016-01-02T22:29:43+00:00

Since, it seems, the 1151 Windows 10 Home 64b upgrade, my laptop has been running MRT on a more than daily basis, producing high disk usage. At least twice, I've run it manually, which allows me to see the details, and noticed MRT detecting 97 malicious files, but then, continuing to run, looping and scanning the same set of files repeatedly, until it finally quits with no malicious files detected.

Norton Internet Security, Norton Power Eraser, and Malware Bytes, all current, have detected no malicious files, but I am thinking it is obvious there are malicious files. Not sure what else to do at this point, any advice would be appreciated.

Moved from Windows

Original title: Microsoft Software Removal Tool running more than daily, with high disk usage

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T15:16:27+00:00

    Thanks, Rick.

    I am still monitoring as well.

    I do not have any additional information but I will ask again today.

    Paul...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T05:53:02+00:00

    This is March 9, 2016 and I am still getting the multiple runs of MRT.exe daily.

    Yes, 3 updates (Jan, Feb, and March) and the issue persist, though the Team 'still working' on it (as per PaulSey's comment above).

    Please keep monitoring this thread.

    ===

    @Brian:

    Are you also seeing same scheduled task (MRT_HB) as Susan? Have you tried stopping/removing it?

    Are you still seeing 'unconfirmed' detections on your Google Chrome's?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T03:15:32+00:00

    This is March 9, 2016 and I am still getting the multiple runs of MRT.exe daily. My MRT update for March failed twice before succeeding when I was presented with the update to perform manually. Checked the error code which was error 80244019. The attempts to update MRT came before and after updates  KB3114900 and KB3140768---all on March 9.

    Some anti-malware tools don't like Comcast Norton and its toolbar/components. I don't think I will uninstall them.

    Susan MillerVA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T22:06:58+00:00

    @PaulSey 

    Thank you for the update. You might not realize it, but that one sentence makes me feel much better than silence. Any communication makes a big difference and is appreciated.

    @RickCP

    Thanks for the nudge that encouraged the reply.

    • Brian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T14:57:07+00:00

    Noted, Thanks. Good Luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments