Far Cry 3 crashes on Windows 10 after 15 minutes of gameplay

Anonymous
2015-09-19T17:03:07+00:00

I updated my 64-bit 8.1 to Windows 10, and far cry 3 was the one crashing in 10 mins, every time. All the drivers were up to date, and yet no good news. The game started, 10-15 minutes of gameplay, crash. I re-installed Windows 10 x64 from zero, and when it went to Far Cry 3, the problem stayed the same.

There is a solution!

Thanks to SamaelShih, it has been figured out that TabletInputServiceforces FarCry3.exe to crash, when enabled. To solve the crash problem:

  1. Open Task Manager
  2. Go to Services
  3. Identify TabletInputService (Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service)
  4. Stop the service
  5. Launch FarCry3

Service could be re-enabled, when you're done.

Enjoy!

"Did I ever tell you the definition of the "Insanity"?" -pretty much, what's been happening in this thread for the last 3 months.

Failed attempts:

I figured out couple things:

  1. Everyone encountering same problem have Windows 10 64-bit. I have Far Cry 3 working smoothly on another PC, having Windows 10 32-bit, also updated from 8.1.
  2. Problem is related to DirectX audio file, xaudio2_7.dll, possibly because of its incompatibility with a new OS.
  3. Disabling Realtek Audio (or any other sound driver) will remove crash, but you play silent. Not a solution.
  4. It is definitely Microsoft bug, since I tried re-installing Far Cry for hundreds of times, run in every single compatibility combination, even tried running couple pirated releases - no result.
  5. Re-installing DirectX, Visual C++ and .NET Framework don't give any positive result.

PC Description: Lenovo Edge 15, Intel I7-5500U, Intel HD Graphics 5500, 8GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise

Similar threads are going there, but no valid solution exist yet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games\_windows\_10/far-cry-3-has-stopped-working-on-windows-10/8c6cf0d6-1142-4658-b17a-dd630fe79f0f

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/3fw6j1/cant\_run\_far\_cry\_3\_on\_windows\_10/

Dear community, help on this question will be really appreciated.

Update 1:

Through Event Viewer, I figured out that the following modules appear to be failing one by one:

xaudio2_7.dll

d3d10.DLL

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCR100.dll

igd12umd32.dll

d3d10.dll_unloaded

d3d10core.dll

d3d12.dll

Last two fail most of the time.

Update 2:

sfc /scannow showed corrupted opencl.dll file. I re-installed Intel HD Graphics, but it gave no result.

Update 3:

On Ubisoft forum, they offered to install the game on the system disk (C:), which was something, I have not tried yet.

Unfortunately, game crashes the same way. Recent two launches failed, referring to same module, XAudio2_7.dll_unloaded

Good thing is, once game is installed on C:, only xaudio2_7.dll fails.

A further suggestion of removing/renaming the xaudio2_7.dll file at system folder (*syswow64*, not *system32*) solves the crash, but totally removes the sound from a game.

Complete fail report:

Faulting application name: farcry3.exe, version: 0.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x51226a37

Faulting module name: XAudio2_7.dll_unloaded, version: 9.29.1962.0, time stamp: 0x4c0641e5

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0003a5e0

Faulting process id: 0xa10

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0fef7d665a842

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Far Cry 3\bin\farcry3.exe

Faulting module path: XAudio2_7.dll

Report Id: 61dfc555-bae3-44ca-bfd3-e32a0b0f4e65

Update 4:

Recent too launches showed that game crashes due to the failure of d3d10.dll and d3d10core.dll . Whether the cause is the hardware is still unknown, but I've found an opinion, that the problem could be caused by IntelHD Graphics Card itself.

The suggestion of lowering the sound quality to the lowest (16bit, 44100Hz) did not prevent the crash, unfortunately.

Complete fail report:

Faulting application name: farcry3.exe, version: 0.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x51226a37

Faulting module name: d3d10.DLL_unloaded, version: 10.0.10240.16384, time stamp: 0x559f3c01

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000ba5e0

Faulting process id: 0x2674

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1078b8afb867f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Far Cry 3\bin\farcry3.exe

Faulting module path: d3d10.DLL

Report Id: 19e8bb01-71dd-4113-9f96-f8be35e66dcb

and:

Faulting application name: farcry3.exe, version: 0.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x51226a37

Faulting module name: d3d10core.dll_unloaded, version: 10.0.10240.16384, time stamp: 0x559f3bc3

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000a5e0

Faulting process id: 0x20a0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d10789548cf142

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Far Cry 3\bin\farcry3.exe

Faulting module path: d3d10core.dll

Report Id: fcbe1f30-b603-4cc1-9040-099b371d91e2

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-19T02:43:16+00:00

Try to shutdown the windows service the name call "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service".

I hope it helps you.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-20T09:01:47+00:00

    Hi Arty,

    Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

    I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

    Method 1: Perform a Clean boot

    To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.

    Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

    Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

    Method 2: Try running it in compatibility mode.

    Click on the link below and follow the instructions:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

    (Applicable for Windows 10)

    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries. 

    Regards,

    Jesinta Rozario

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-20T15:42:08+00:00

    Thank you for help, hoped for something more helpful than that though.

    Clean boot did not reveal a problem, since the game crashed again. Therefore, problem lays in Windows component, and, for sure, the OS is installed properly, since as I said above, it happened on moved Windows 10 and the clean one.

    Besides, as I stated above, I already tried compatibility modes - every single combination of.

    And extra question, which might also solve this problem. Some stated, the problem might lay in Graphic Card Drivers. Nvidia users simply re-installed the drivers and crash problem was ressolved. During SFC /SCANNOW, it showed corrupted opencl.dll file. That is the file related to GPU, I'm quite aware of it. However, re-installation of Intel Drivers did not change anything (they have only general installation pack), sfc still states, opencl.dll is corrupted, hash is mismatched. Is there a way to re-install OpenCL only? My graphics card is IntelHD 5500.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-25T19:46:21+00:00

    Exact same problem here. Will try to update the latest realtek driver at see what happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-28T12:53:24+00:00

    Did you get any help from MS Support? Did Realtek Update work for you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments