It happened on clean boot as well just now.
Whenever I use the open/save dialog, the application freezes and I have to terminate it
I've researched this for a month before posting this. I have tried all solutions and I'm still having this problem.
Half the time when I do something with an application that brings up the Explorer dialog such as Open, Save, Save As etc. the application freezes and I have no choice but to terminate it. This happened most frequently with a video editor I used, sometimes after spending an hour editing the video all my progress is lost because I had to terminate the frozen app. This happens with Firefox, this happens with just about every app that summons the Open/Save Explorer dialog.
So far I have tried:
Using a different/default theme since I use a custom one. This appeared to solve the problem for the first few minutes as my video editor stopped freezing when clicking Open or Save video file. But then it froze on the 5th instance or so.
Deleting the ComDlg32 registry key. Sometimes this helps temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. Clearly useless.
Verifying my comdlg32.dll was not corrupt (sfc /scannow). It wasn't corrupt.
Unchecking "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in Folder Options in the Control Panel. This helped the most. Now the explorer dialog freezes only 10% of the time instead of 50%. But obviously the problem still persists so my question is WHY?
I've run into numerous problems as I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Not to say I never had issues on XP but at least basic things like this functioned. Basic usability is a frequent problem now since I upgraded with all kinds of random instances of design backwardsness as if I've downgraded.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-12-18T03:16:49+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-12-18T05:07:57+00:00 Hi,
I am sorry for the delayed response.
I suggest you to follow the steps under my computer hangs or freezes on Windows 7 from below link and check.
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0
If the issue persists then you need to proceed with system restore.
Please follow the Microsoft article below which will help you to proceed with system restore.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-system-restore#1TC=windows-7
Let us know the status of the issue.
-
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2014-12-18T12:41:30+00:00 It's a good idea to use Process Monitor in this case to know what's happening in the background (when Open/Save as box pops up).
Download Process Monitor:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
How to Use Process Monitor to Track Events and Generate a Log File:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/process-monitor-track-events-generate-log-file/
You could upload the LOG file (zipped) to a free web host and post the link.
-
Anonymous
2014-12-19T00:31:41+00:00 I just told you it's not my whole OS that's freezing. And given that this issue has persisted since I upgraded to 7, I don't see what system restore will do for me which by the way does not go back 2 months which is when I upgraded.
-
Anonymous
2014-12-19T01:08:46+00:00 For privacy reasons I cannot post the log. Notepad just froze right now after opening the save dialog and I logged it all with Process Monitor but I had no idea it would log that much detail. There are instances of notepad itself parsing filenames in my desktop folder, all saved in the log. This is unacceptable.