Whenever I use the open/save dialog, the application freezes and I have to terminate it

Anonymous
2014-12-13T03:13:22+00:00

I've researched this for a month before posting this. I have tried all solutions and I'm still having this problem.

Half the time when I do something with an application that brings up the Explorer dialog such as Open, Save, Save As etc. the application freezes and I have no choice but to terminate it. This happened most frequently with a video editor I used, sometimes after spending an hour editing the video all my progress is lost because I had to terminate the frozen app. This happens with Firefox, this happens with just about every app that summons the Open/Save Explorer dialog.

So far I have tried:

Using a different/default theme since I use a custom one. This appeared to solve the problem for the first few minutes as my video editor stopped freezing when clicking Open or Save video file. But then it froze on the 5th instance or so.

Deleting the ComDlg32 registry key. Sometimes this helps temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. Clearly useless.

Verifying my comdlg32.dll was not corrupt (sfc /scannow). It wasn't corrupt.

Unchecking "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in Folder Options in the Control Panel. This helped the most. Now the explorer dialog freezes only 10% of the time instead of 50%. But obviously the problem still persists so my question is WHY?

I've run into numerous problems as I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Not to say I never had issues on XP but at least basic things like this functioned. Basic usability is a frequent problem now since I upgraded with all kinds of random instances of design backwardsness as if I've downgraded.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-01T00:14:40+00:00

    Already tried all that, and what guide? The one Umatt suggested on restoring user profile? I asked what settings I would lose by doing that and I received no answer.

    Hi,

    Could you please let me know, does this problem occur for all locations or certain locations when you use save or open dialogue? what type of files do you have in the location where you want to save something or open ? (in the dialogue box for save or open what is your location? (e.g. is it desktop or a folder and what do you have in it?)

    Does this problem occur for all applications or only one application like Microsoft Word?

    What are your security software? like antivirus, firewall and please also let me know what are your start up programs.

    About the guidelines, What I meant was these in my earlier post:

    The application not responding is a common problem with Windows Computers and there is no guaranteed solution for this however there are ways to avoid it.

    The main cause of the problem is when certain number of programs are running and accessing disc or hard drive at the same time consistently. The best way to avoid this problem is to run less programs at same time, specially the ones which have high disc access.

    For example if you surf the web while scanning your PC for both viruses and spyware using another two programs then you will more likely face this problem while loading webpages or watching videos online on YouTube. (because they are too many programs trying to access the hard drive and therefore some programs may become less responsive)

    Another way to avoid this, is to make sure that your Hard drive is de-fragmented regularly depending on its usage.

    Consider saving your files in a different partition and keep your drive C: clean and avoid installing unwanted programs and de-frag it regularly and keep some free space for it. (keep your files in a external hard drive if possible)

    Reduce your start up programs and uninstall any programs that you do not use or rarely use.

    Upgrading your hard drive can be another option but it won't guarantee the fix.

    and other things you might also want to try:

    1. Check your disc for errors.
    2. Run System File Checker through cmd (Run as admin) then type sfc /scannow
    3. Check your PC for viruses, spyware and malware specially using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware

    https://www.malwarebytes.org/

    http://www.superantispyware.com/

    1. Sometimes updating drivers and the BIOS could also help to improve the system performance.

    I have no other possible solutions to this problem but above should help to avoid it happening again but there is no guarantee.

    Hope above helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-31T03:52:31+00:00

    Already tried all that, and what guide? The one Umatt suggested on restoring user profile? I asked what settings I would lose by doing that and I received no answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-30T13:56:44+00:00

    The applications only freeze when the open/save dialog is summoned by clicking Save, Save As, Open etc.

    This never happened once in 10 years on Windows XP.

    Also, I use an SSD.

    Hi,

    Yes, Windows XP did not have this problem but others do have this problem. Unfortunately Windows XP is now out dated.

    Well if you are using SSD then there should not be a problem if all programs are using the SSD Dive but again if you run too many programs at same time or if at a instance some programs try to access disc at once, this not responding problem is more likely to show up again (certain programs may become unresponsive). 

    Above guide lines helps to avoid this problem.

    Other things you might also want to try:

    1. Check your disc for errors.
    2. Run System File Checker through cmd (Run as admin) then type sfc /scannow
    3. Check your PC for viruses, spyware and malware specially using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware

    https://www.malwarebytes.org/

    http://www.superantispyware.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-27T20:18:43+00:00

    The applications only freeze when the open/save dialog is summoned by clicking Save, Save As, Open etc.

    This never happened once in 10 years on Windows XP.

    Also, I use an SSD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-27T14:23:52+00:00

    I rather my problem fixed than alleviated but if this really does alleviate it at all, thanks.

    Hi,

    I understand your situation. 

    The application not responding is a common problem with Windows Computers and there is no guaranteed solution for this however there are ways to avoid it.

    The main cause of the problem is when certain number of programs are running and accessing disc or hard drive at the same time consistently. The best way to avoid this problem is to run less programs at same time, specially the ones which have high disc access.

    For example if you surf the web while scanning your PC for both viruses and spyware using another two programs then you will more likely face this problem while loading webpages or watching videos online on YouTube. (because they are too many programs trying to access the hard drive and therefore some programs may become less responsive)

    Another way to avoid this, is to make sure that your Hard drive is de-fragmented regularly depending on its usage. 

    Consider saving your files in a different partition and keep your drive C: clean and avoid installing unwanted programs and de-frag it regularly and keep some free space for it. (keep your files in a external hard drive if possible)

    Reduce your start up programs and uninstall any programs that you do not use or rarely use.

    Upgrading your hard drive can be another option but it won't guarantee the fix. 

    Hope above helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments