Whenever I use the open/save dialog, the application freezes and I have to terminate it

Anonymous
2014-12-13T03:13:22+00:00

I've researched this for a month before posting this. I have tried all solutions and I'm still having this problem.

Half the time when I do something with an application that brings up the Explorer dialog such as Open, Save, Save As etc. the application freezes and I have no choice but to terminate it. This happened most frequently with a video editor I used, sometimes after spending an hour editing the video all my progress is lost because I had to terminate the frozen app. This happens with Firefox, this happens with just about every app that summons the Open/Save Explorer dialog.

So far I have tried:

Using a different/default theme since I use a custom one. This appeared to solve the problem for the first few minutes as my video editor stopped freezing when clicking Open or Save video file. But then it froze on the 5th instance or so.

Deleting the ComDlg32 registry key. Sometimes this helps temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. Clearly useless.

Verifying my comdlg32.dll was not corrupt (sfc /scannow). It wasn't corrupt.

Unchecking "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in Folder Options in the Control Panel. This helped the most. Now the explorer dialog freezes only 10% of the time instead of 50%. But obviously the problem still persists so my question is WHY?

I've run into numerous problems as I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Not to say I never had issues on XP but at least basic things like this functioned. Basic usability is a frequent problem now since I upgraded with all kinds of random instances of design backwardsness as if I've downgraded.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T20:34:14+00:00

    All I see on the post marked as the answer in that thread is that /RestoreHealth is not supported for Windows 7 and that there's no solution, or did I miss something?

    Merry Xmas.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T05:27:48+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for replying.

    I suggest you to follow this link below to fix error 87 running "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" on Windows 7.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/error-87-running-dism-online-cleanup-image/33be783f-6e3f-408b-9d0c-901cd19c14ea

    Let us know the status.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T04:45:29+00:00

    I did DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and it produced a log file.

    For the second command I got an error.

    C:\Users\Admin>DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

    Version: 6.1.7600.16385

    Image Version: 6.1.7601.18489

    Error: 87

    The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.

    For more information, refer to the help.

    The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T04:36:57+00:00

    Hi,

    I am sorry for the delayed response.

    As the issue doesn't persists in different user account, lets try restoring Windows image by using DISM command.

    Please follow the method below.

    Method 1: Run the DISM tool 

    1. Click on start and type CMD.
    2. Right-click command prompt, and then tap or click run as administrator. 
    3. In the administrator command prompt window, enter the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

    1. To close the administrator command prompt window, type exit, and then press enter. 

    Let us know the status of the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T19:42:34+00:00

    I already know how to terminate the frozen program, notice the title of my post?

    What I'm hoping is to make it not freeze in the first place so I don't have to terminate it.

    My video card driver is already up to date.

    I'll try doing things under a different user.

    EDIT: The issue doesn't seem to happen under a different user, but it's too early to tell. New user uses the default aero theme. Switching to a default theme on my problematic user account initially seems to alleviate the problem but eventually returns. But I'm leaning to the notion that this doesn't happen on another user account. What now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments