Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2014-10-13T18:07:05+00:00

    Well, my webmail uses BOTH IMAP and STMP. Does that matter? See below:

    What you show is not web mail.  Web mail , by definition, is a mailbox you access with a web browser.  Windows Live Mail is not a web browser and, hence, mail you see in it is not web mail.

    Mail clients must have both an incoming server and an outgoing server.  An incoming server provides mail that comes from your mailbox to you when you're receiving mail.  An outgoing server transmits the mail you send to a message transport server that passes it on to the final destination.  Incoming servers use POP or IMAP protocols to transmit mail from your mailbox at Charter to Windows Live Mail on your computer.  Windows Live Mail uses the SMTP protocol to transmit messages from your PC to the Charter server.  This is how all mail clients work, in general.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-13T19:07:55+00:00

    Thank you Brian. Very helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-14T10:51:05+00:00

    ... I'm Jumping In! Please forgive me. This is the closest forum entry to my problems that I've found.

    Why did you not simply start your own thread? It can be very confusing when users with similar but not identical problems post in the same thread. The Ask a question option is on the Participate menu.

    I would like ALL incoming E-MAIL to go to my INBOX

    You will get all your incoming mail to your inbox if you select the appropriate option on the Options tab of the SafetyOptions dialogue (Alt-F O S). Note that if you should ever attempt to block a sender, subsequent messages from that sender will be delivered to the junk email folder.

    I DO NOT want a DRAFTS folder

    I would like to ... REMOVE the SENT ITEMS folder.

    These are special folders required by the program for its proper functioning. You can't remove them.

    I DO NOT want a JUNK or TRASH folder. I don't see the distinctions between the two

    Trash is for stuff you've thrown away. Junk is for stuff you or your mail server or your junk filters have determined may be unwanted. The folders are called Deleted items and Junk E-mail respectively in Windows Live Mail. Again, they are required for the proper functioning of the program.

    This screenshot shows at the top of the list the five Windows Live Mail special folders that you can't remove. In their alphabetical location in the rest of the list are two of the IMAP server's special folders, Sent and Trash.

    You may be able to specify which of your account folders are available for synchronization over IMAP. You can in Windows Live Mail specify which IMAP folders to show and which to synchronize, with in many cases a degree of synchronization. You can map (match up) your Windows Live Mail special folders with those at the IMAP server so you don't have duplicate folders for the same function. There are a great number of settings for IMAP accounts, and some of them will vary with the IMAP server involved. If you want help with configuring your IMAP folders in Windows Live Mail, please start your own thread and give details of the email service provider involved, the version of Windows Live Mail and the operating system.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-19T19:15:47+00:00

    Yes, you're right about "jumping in" - or not? I try to avoid it - unless the original poster and I "seem" to be stuck on the same page - sometimes hard to tell? If those of us with questions already knew the intricacies of the questions and the answers, we would not need to post, in any thread, in the first place......

    I say - to anyone reading - if you ain't sure, go ahead and jump-in! Don't let the "moderators"(Or anyone else.) throw you. I am sure neither you or I will "trash" a thread with something completely and obviously(Even to us) different - will we..? Of course we won't.

    Otherwise, my friend, again, this is a free forum, not a personal, private, paid "fixit" site. Please remember - Many "jumpers" have no clue! Hard for the technically inclined to believe there are such people, I know, I work with such folk(Much to their dismay.) all the time. If those with similar(Or believed similar, due to having no clue - like me.) problems all have different threads, seems to me that it would quickly become impossible for anyone to read them all much less answer all "the same"(Or very similar) questions? I thank you for trying to help, but, a slight expansion of a question/answer(Or a multi-page, back and forth, up and down, give and take?) may help us all..? We are(Some of us) not only humans, we are "feeling dumb" humans, when we post. Most of us likely are quite knowledgeable in some things, just not "THIS" thing - ya'know? If I had had any idea my question needed a different thread, I would have tried to figure out how to post one - guaranteed. I just did a "Bing Search", with my question, and there you were! All I know.

    As far as "our" questions, on this thread, go, all we are trying to do is figure out how to work Windows Live Mail - something new, different and, apparently, very confusing for those of us not well-computerized(And some who claim to be..?). Throw-in the "new" IMAP, my ISP pushed me to adopt - prompting me to lose emails right and left for a couple of weeks, by deleting them on my phone or tablet, then, not finding them, later on my PC(Yeeks!?), before I figured "syncing" out - a little, and it's been tough E-mailing the last year or so. May all be "better", but, change is always tough sledding for awhile. So far, my questions on WLM would fill a book and my knowledge a thumbnail.

    Finally:(Not picking on you, here, "i" person, your post, immediately above as I type, is the only thing I can see while typing). Some of the answers on the thread are not "low enough", on the teaching scale.  Some assume w-a-y too much knowledge on the part of the questioner --- like the answerer does not want to seem to "talk down" to the poster? IT'S OK! Talk down to us! We're down here, you're up there! I, for one, am good with that! Generally, pick a single point. Try to "step-by-step" every answer, with every silly little detail, and all will go so much better.

    An example: "...You may be able to specify which of your account folders are available for synchronization over IMAP. You can in Windows Live Mail specify which IMAP folders to show and which to synchronize, with in many cases a degree of synchronization. You can map (match up) your Windows Live Mail special folders with those at the IMAP server so you don't have duplicate folders for the same function. There are a great number of settings for IMAP accounts, and some of them will vary with the IMAP server involved...".

    Huh? I ask, in rough order of appearance of the statements in the example - How? How? How? How much? How? Agreed! - Where? - How do I set those settings? What is an IMAP server, and where is it? Indeed, basically, we just want to know where the settings are and how to set them up. If there are 321 steps in the set-up, start with #1 - we'll follow - guaranteed.

    "OK, this button --- click. Yay. Now... #2..."

    Yes, you must assume I really am that stupid - there is no other way...

    Problem is always --- a few pushes of a few buttons "fix" everything in Windows(Everything in life, for that matter.) - we know that. However, there are billions of possible button-push combinations! Some of us just don't have the brains/time/desire/education to get more than a few dozen of these combinations "in our heads".  "We" must count on "you" for the "simple" things we must do. - Again - thank YOU very much for trying! We could not do it without you. NO SLAM intended, none at all! Just trying to give you an idea of where "we" stand(Or, at least "I" stand...), with so many computer questions. 

    I, too, learned something here --- Talk to my ISP ---. With luck, they may know WLM and their "stuff", and can "talk me through", step-by-step? Less than 11 hours until 2 AM EDT, maybe I'll still be up and give it a shot. Maybe not(Yawn...).

    Or - when I get to it, I'll try to find another thread - my apologies for jumping in. Tough times, all around, for me, personally, for awhile now. My lack of ability for me to even properly set-up my "simple" email is driving me even more nuts.

    Thankx,

    Ted

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments