Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T12:59:03+00:00

    Is there a  way when I delete an email in windows Live Mail, or when I send an email in windows live mail,  I can stop it from ending up in my Charter.net DELETED box? I keep getting emails from charter.net telling me my mailbox is too full, even though I have deleted emails from the deleted items box in live mail.  Then, when I have to go into charter.net to delete them, I have only TWO choices. Delete them ALL (which makes them disappear from charter.net) or delete them ONE by ONE which takes forever!! Many thanks for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T12:46:47+00:00

    Thank you. I think I just figured out the difference. When I send an email in charter.net (which is my internet carrier.....I have to use their email and not window live mail when I am away from home, or when my emails make it to live mail with only the header downloading), THAT email ends up in the SENT MAIL folder. When I send the email in window live mail, it ends up in the SENT ITEMS folder. It's crazy making. I don't know which I hate more, the charter.net email service or windows live mail!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T01:10:18+00:00

    The screen shot looks like Windows Live Mail.

    The title bar will say Windows Live Mail.

    Right click on the account name > Properties > Server tab

    Is an IMAP server being used?

    Click on the IMAP tab.

    Check 'Store special folder on the IMAP server'.

    OK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-10T20:20:26+00:00

    Hello, here is the screenshot. Sent Items and SentMail

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments