Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T20:56:41+00:00

    I appreciate your attempt to help me, but what you just said is NOT what occurs on my laptop. If I delete an email from my Windows live mail SENT folder or from my Windows live mail IN box, the email DOES not disappear from the corresponding folders in my webmail. And when I then delete these same emails from the Windows live mail DELETED folder, they still remain in the web browser folders.  Now perhaps there is a setting I can change that will make what you say true, but right now, it is not true! This is what I am trying to change!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T19:35:21+00:00

    After a send/receive occurs, emails deleted from any Windows Live Mail folders will also be removed from the webmail folders.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T13:20:43+00:00

    Thank you. Even if I do this, I still have all my emails that I deleted from my SENT MAIL and IN box in Windows Live Mail ending up in my webmail DELETED ITEMS folder. I still have to go into the webmail to delete everything so that my mailbox does not become too full. I would like to NOT HAVE TO go into webmail to delete anything. I would like to delete in Windows Live Mail, and then periodically delete the DELETED ITEMS folder in Windows Live Mail(the way you suggested or not), and never ever have to go into webmail to do any deleting. How do I make that happen?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T08:03:36+00:00

    When I empty my DELETED folder in Windows Live Mail, it DOES NOT delete the  same items that are in my DELETED folder in my webmail.

    There's a difference between deleting and removing. The Deleted items folder is a recycle bin, where stuff you say you don't want is kept for a longer or shorter period in case you change your mind. Whether it gets emptied or not depends a bit on how the IMAP server behaves. If you want to remove messages permanently with little margin for error, select Purge deleted messages when leaving IMAP folders. You'll find the option by pressing Ctrl-Shift-O for Options, then clicking Maintenance on the Advanced tab.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments