Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T23:51:46+00:00

    That makes things much clearer - thank you. I don't believe that you've mapped the special folders properly on the IMAP tab of the account's properties dialogue. If you had, you wouldn't have all those extraneous folders at charter.net. You should only see

    Inbox

    Drafts

    Sent Mail

    Junk Mail

    Trash

    followed by your user-created folders Test, Untitled and so on. The other folders you see - Deleted Items, Junk E-mail and Sent Items - are folders native to Windows Live Mail that have been (wrongly) synchronized to the IMAP server. Move any messages in them that you want to keep (this will presumably only involve the Sent Items folder) to the proper 'special' folder with a special icon, then delete all three folders. The whole idea is that you have the same folders in the client and at the server, even though the special folders may have different names. It's the content that counts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T23:27:29+00:00

    Correction: Sent Items not Sent Mail. See below.

    Again, I thank you for your patience. The exact names in Windows Live Mail are Sent Items, Deleted Items, and SentMail. The exact names in my webbrowser are Sent Mail, Trash, Deleted Items, and Sent Items. These are the exact spellings.  Please see attached:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T23:25:32+00:00

    Again, I thank you for your patience. The exact names in Windows Live Mail are Sent Items, Deleted Items, and SentMail. The exact names in my webbrowser are Sent Mail, Trash, Deleted Items, and Sent Mail. These are the exact spellings.  Please see attached:

    Contrary to what you say,  when I delete an email from the Deleted Items folder in WindowsLiveMail, it does NOT delete from the Deleted Items folder in my webbrowser!!  I have tried this time and time again, and the emails do not disappear from the Deleted Items  folder!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T22:46:31+00:00

    ... all my emails that I deleted from my SENT MAIL and IN box in Windows Live Mail ending up in my webmail DELETED ITEMS folder.

    1. When a message is deleted in Windows Live Mail, it is moved to the Deleted itemsfolder. This is what I explained earlier. It is not permanently deleted until you empty the folder. If you are synchronizing special folders and you have moved a message to the Deleted items folder by deleting it, it will naturally appear in the deleted items folder in webmail, too. That's how IMAP works. If you empty Deleted items, then the messages permanently deleted by this action will also be removed from the deleted items folder on the IMAP server.
    2. Do you have more than one folder in webmail for deleted items? I rather thought that the folder at charter.net was called Trash. This is what I would map to Deleted items on the IMAP tab of the account's properties dialogue. If you're seeing a Deleted items folder at charter.net, this is presumably the Windows Live Mail folder that has synchronized. So long as the Trash folder is present at charter.net, you can safely delete the Deleted items folder there.

    If there's still something I'm not understanding, please explain again. As I've tried to make plain, it's vital to be accurate with the names of folders. When dealing with synchronization, using the exact folder names - also case-wise - is imperative. I don't think you have folders anywhere called SENT MAIL or IN box or DELETED ITEMS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments