Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-13T13:57:12+00:00

    ... deleting folders. Do I delete them in Windows Live Mail, or do I delete them in the webbroswers?

    The special folders that are native to Windows Live Mail are Drafts, Sent items, Junk email and Deleted items. The corresponding ones at the IMAP server are Drafts, Sent Mail, Junk Mail and Trash. There should be no others in webmail.

    First, do what Brian said to get the folder mapping right.

    Then log in to your account at charter.net, move any messages out of the Sent items folder into the Sent Mail folder and delete the three folders Sent items, Junk email and Deleted items.

    If this gets you into the situation you want to be in, then well and good. If it doesn't, there may be a couple of other tweaks left to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2014-10-13T13:23:21+00:00

    Yes, make the changes there.  Change the "Sent Items path" to "Sent Mail", the "Junk path" to "Junk Mail", and the "Deleted Items path" to "Trash".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-13T13:06:28+00:00

    Is this what you are referring to? Am I supposed to make a change here? Many thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-13T13:02:06+00:00

    Now we are getting somewhere! Thank you! I did not set any of this up. In fact, I don't know if this just defaulted this way, or if the person, long ago, who set up my computer, had something to do with making these choices. I have had people over the years come to the house to set things up.............a new laptop, a desktop, etc. And things behave differently on my desktop in terms of Windows Live Mail and what gets put there and how that all affects the webbrowser and vice versa. But for now, let's forget about the desktop!

    What you have suggested about deleting folders. Do I delete them in Windows Live Mail, or do I delete them in the webbroswers? Please tell me exactly how to delete them! Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments