Questions about sent mails and sent items.

Anonymous
2014-10-07T23:02:52+00:00

I am using Windows 8.1. I cannot figure out the difference between Sent Items and Sent Mail. When I send an email sometimes it ends up in Sent Items and sometimes it ends up in Sent Mail. What is the difference? This is very confusing! Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
2014-10-11T02:16:53+00:00

The SentMail folder is one being supplied by your mail server.  I suspect you are using an IMAP account.  It doesn't appear you are using Outlook.com for your mail service.  Thus, your post is off-topic for the Outlook.com forum.  I have moved it to the Windows Live Mail forum on "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" where it is on-topic.

Right-click the account in the folder pane and choose Properties.  On the IMAP tab you can control the mapping of folders so that WLM will use the correct folder for saving the sent messages.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T17:10:43+00:00

    ... I am not sure what I am trying to accomplish.

    Here am I guessing at what you're trying to accomplish; if you're not sure, we're both stymied!

    Still, this makes sense to me: you have one set of 'special' folders for drafts, sent messages, junk mail and trash. They happen to have different names depending on where you look at them, but it's pretty obvious which is which. Using IMAP, the contents of these folders will normally synchronize, i.e. you see the same folder contents however you access the folder - in Windows Live Mail, at charter.net or even on your smart phone. Messages you delete are deleted everywhere, regardless of where you deleted them from. Every message you send is in the folder for sent mail regardless of where you happened to be when you sent it.

    Every IMAP server is different, and I've no experience of Charter IMAP. Still, if you set things up the way I suggested in my last post, you're bound to be quite close to achieving what I think you're trying to achieve.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T16:25:11+00:00

    Thank you for taking the time to help. I can follow your directions, but why? I am not sure what I am tryig to accomplish.

    I think that first I need to determine what the ideal set up is. I think it is that if I send emails or delete them FROM Windows Live Mail, I DO NOT want them to go to my webmail. (Thanks for clarifying that). If I delete, I simply want the emails to disappear totally, and not have to go into webmail to delete them yet a second time. Does that make sense? Is there anything I am not thinking of. So, how do I make that happen? Is that what your directions do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T15:54:41+00:00

    If you store special folders on the IMAP server, then you'll see exactly the same both in Windows Live Mail and at charter.net (that's webmail, by the way). So anything you send from charter.net will appear in Windows Live Mail and vice versa. Anything you delete in Windows Live Mail will also be deleted at charter.net and vice versa.

    1. Click on the account name in the folder pane to select it.
    2. Press Alt-S F to open the Show/hide IMAP folders dialogue and click Reset List.

    Note down the names of the folders available. Close the dialogue. 3. Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties.

    On the IMAP tab you took a screenshot of, type the special folder names into the boxes. Close the dialogue. 4. Press Ctrl-Shift-O for Options. On the Advanced tab, select Use the 'Deleted Items' folder for IMAP accounts. 5. Compose a new test message and send it to yourself. Where does it end up (you should see two copies of it)? And at charter.net?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-11T15:05:45+00:00

    If I UNCLICK Store special folders on IMAP server, will my sent emails and my deleted emails in Windows Live Mail  STOP going into my similar folders in charter.net? If I can do that, then I will not have to keep going into charter.net to delete everything. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments