Windows 7 SP1 Update Error Code 800F081F

Anonymous
2014-10-07T17:46:09+00:00

Hi,

For a few days now I'm getting an alert in my system tray that Windows cannot automatically search for updates. Clicking on the icon leads me to a message saying that the Windows Update Agent needs an update and a button to do this update. Clicking on the button closes the window, which then opens again after a few seconds with an error message that Windows cannot search for new updates. Error message code = 800F081F.

When I looked at my update history, I see that Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 has failed daily for over a month now. I've already tried several suggestions (some posted on the dutch microsoft community) e.g. clearing the update cache, system update readiness tool, a 'clean' start of Windows, MS Fix It, but to no avail. Checkdisk and System File Checker scans found nothing wrong.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, 64 bit. Not sure what other information I should provide that is relevant?

Hope someone can help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Paul

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T18:19:34+00:00

    Paul

    Please restart your computer, allow 30 minutes for the system to run before uploading further information so that the impact of making changes can become apparent.

    Please provide an updated copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone fresh copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your One Drive (formerly Sky Drive) and post a link here. You can remove the earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-05T13:24:56+00:00

    Paul

    Please work through the suggestions in the next link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997/en-gb

    Start at Method 4. You have already tried Methods 1 to 3.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-07T19:27:27+00:00

    Hi Gerry,

    tried all the methods, but the problem isn't solved. I did have some issues with methods 10 and 11:

    Method 10: I have some trouble following the steps, but I doubt this is relevant. I don't have a failed update, I just can't search for new ones.

    Method 11: there's no file 'pending.xml' in the folder mentioned.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-08T08:49:13+00:00

    Paul

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments