Windows 7 SP1 Update Error Code 800F081F

Anonymous
2014-10-07T17:46:09+00:00

Hi,

For a few days now I'm getting an alert in my system tray that Windows cannot automatically search for updates. Clicking on the icon leads me to a message saying that the Windows Update Agent needs an update and a button to do this update. Clicking on the button closes the window, which then opens again after a few seconds with an error message that Windows cannot search for new updates. Error message code = 800F081F.

When I looked at my update history, I see that Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 has failed daily for over a month now. I've already tried several suggestions (some posted on the dutch microsoft community) e.g. clearing the update cache, system update readiness tool, a 'clean' start of Windows, MS Fix It, but to no avail. Checkdisk and System File Checker scans found nothing wrong.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, 64 bit. Not sure what other information I should provide that is relevant?

Hope someone can help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Paul

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-26T00:26:33+00:00

    Paul

    Please download and install Malwarebytes (freeware version for home users only -not the Trial version –watch the checked boxes whilst installing), update definitions and run in normal mode. Disable other security software whilst you are doing scans.

    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes\_free

    Please upload a copy of the report on what it found as a shared file to your OneDrive and a post a link here.

    Please download and run ADWCleaner:

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

    I suggest you take the precaution of creating a system restore point before running ADWCleaner, to guard against unforeseen consequences. Select Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, and click the Create button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-30T21:57:46+00:00

    Hi Gerry,

    here are links to the reports.

    Malwarebytes:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D4EDCF2B47D2E08D!122&authkey=!ALcPow\_v3WiFIs8&ithint=file%2ctxt

    ADWCleaner:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D4EDCF2B47D2E08D!123&authkey=!AOmMYsOGgJGZHUk&ithint=file%2ctxt

    Looks like ADWCleaner found something, but I'm not sure if I should just remove these things.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-01T11:43:31+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-01T21:03:13+00:00

    OK, also done. Any suggestions on a next step?

    And again, thanks!

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments