Windows 7 SP1 Update Error Code 800F081F

Anonymous
2014-10-07T17:46:09+00:00

Hi,

For a few days now I'm getting an alert in my system tray that Windows cannot automatically search for updates. Clicking on the icon leads me to a message saying that the Windows Update Agent needs an update and a button to do this update. Clicking on the button closes the window, which then opens again after a few seconds with an error message that Windows cannot search for new updates. Error message code = 800F081F.

When I looked at my update history, I see that Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 has failed daily for over a month now. I've already tried several suggestions (some posted on the dutch microsoft community) e.g. clearing the update cache, system update readiness tool, a 'clean' start of Windows, MS Fix It, but to no avail. Checkdisk and System File Checker scans found nothing wrong.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, 64 bit. Not sure what other information I should provide that is relevant?

Hope someone can help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Paul

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-22T11:36:07+00:00

    Paul

    Does your friend's disk contain the SP1 update? If it does not contain the SP1 Update it will not work.

    You do know your 25 character product key? Please do not post details of the product key here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-22T21:08:40+00:00

    Hi Gerry,

    I have the product key, yes. It's on a sticker on the bottom of my laptop. Other than a Windows disk I don't think I need anything else, do I?

    And I've asked about the SP1 update, but my friend wasn't sure about that. It's not her disk, but she knows someone who has one...so I guess I'll find out when I get it (after the Christmas holidays). In the meantime I can ask around to see if someone else has a disk for me to borrow.

    And again: thanks a lot for trying to help me out these past few weeks. I really appreciate it!

    Regards,

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T08:53:39+00:00

    Paul

    I would revert to factory settings. It will resolve your problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments