Windows 7 SP1 Update Error Code 800F081F

Anonymous
2014-10-07T17:46:09+00:00

Hi,

For a few days now I'm getting an alert in my system tray that Windows cannot automatically search for updates. Clicking on the icon leads me to a message saying that the Windows Update Agent needs an update and a button to do this update. Clicking on the button closes the window, which then opens again after a few seconds with an error message that Windows cannot search for new updates. Error message code = 800F081F.

When I looked at my update history, I see that Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 has failed daily for over a month now. I've already tried several suggestions (some posted on the dutch microsoft community) e.g. clearing the update cache, system update readiness tool, a 'clean' start of Windows, MS Fix It, but to no avail. Checkdisk and System File Checker scans found nothing wrong.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, 64 bit. Not sure what other information I should provide that is relevant?

Hope someone can help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Paul

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-08T12:18:26+00:00

    Hello Paulvan,

    Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forum.

    I really appreciate the effort made by you in trying to troubleshoot the issue you are facing. Let me ask you;

    1. Which security software do you have installed?

    Let's try the following steps and check if the issue still persists.

    **Step 1:**Try the updates after temporarily disabling any running Anti Virus and other security programs.

    You may refer to: **Disable Anti-Virus Software**

    Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

    Step 2: Try the steps from the following link and check the result:

    How do I reset Windows Update components?

    Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article:

    **How to backup registry**

    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know the result, we’ll be glad to assist you.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-09T21:08:11+00:00

    Hi Niranjan,

    thanks a lot for your reply and trying to help me.

    I followed the steps you described. Disabling my "avast!" antivirus software didn't help, unfortunately.

    After that I tried to reset the windows update components. I first tried the automatic 'fix it' program that could be downloaded from the page you provided: no success. After that I tried the manual steps: also no success.

    I also got quite some errors when trying to register the BITS and Windows Update files.

    The module "mshtml.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DLLRegisterServer was not found.

    Make sure that***"mshtml.dll"*** is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again.

    I also got this same error for the files shdocvw.dll, browseui.dlland qmgr.dll.

    For a bunch of other files I got a different error.

    The module ***"msxml.dll"***failed to load.

    Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

    Next to the msxml.dll I also got this error on the following files:

    gpkcsp.dll

    sccbase.dll

    slbcsp.dll

    initpki.dll

    wuaueng1.dll

    wucltui.dll

    wuweb.dll

    muweb.dll

    I have no idea what to do with these errors (if anything, but I would assume it's not OK) or what the next step should be. Hope you, or someone else, can help me further.

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-10T15:24:02+00:00

    Hello Paul,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on the issue.

    • Do you have Windows 7 installation DVD?

    Since you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps/methods related to the error, you'll need to repair Windows. Repairing Windows won't damage your personal files or the programs that are installed on your computer.

    Once you finish the repair, you'll need to rerun Windows Update to install any updates aren't included on the installation DVD. To repair Windows, follow these steps:

    1. Close all programs, and then restart your computer.
    2. Insert the Windows DVD into the computer's disk drive. Wait for Setup to start. If Setup doesn't start automatically, follow these steps:
    3. Click Start, and then type Drive**:\setup.exe** in the search box, where Drive is the letter of your computer's DVD drive (for example, D:\setup.exe). 2. In the Programs list, click Setup.exe.
    4. Click Install Now.
    5. Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).
    6. If you are asked for it, type the Windows Product key.
    7. In the Which kind of installation do you want? window, click Upgrade.
    8. When the installation is complete, restart your computer, and then run Windows Update.

    Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-10T17:10:42+00:00

    To troubleshoot most computer problems it helps to look at available clues in the System Information file and the Event Viewer logs. An experienced eye can pick out the needles in the haystack and see more clearly the precise nature of the problem or problems.

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-23T19:23:52+00:00

    Hello Gerry,

    for some reason I totally missed your reply earlier. Thanks for the effort.

    Application log:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D4EDCF2B47D2E08D%21108

    System log:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D4EDCF2B47D2E08D%21107

    System information:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D4EDCF2B47D2E08D%21106

    I hope you or someone else can make something of these. If not, I guess I'll have to resort to re-install Windows.

    Again, thanks for the help.

    Regards,

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments