That's not possible in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10. Windows Vista was the last operating system to provide this option.
Rearrange taskbar buttons and/or rearrange order of notification area icons. Windows 8.1
I found the following for Windows 8.1,
order of app buttons on the taskbar:
All open files from the same app are always grouped together, even if you didn’t open them one after the other. This is so you can see all of the previews for that app at the same time.
How do I make the last or the latest icon to always open on the right hand side. And that the first app or icon is on the left hand side. Second app or its icon always opens or goes on the right hand side (now second left). And the third app or its icon always opens or goes to the right hand side (now third left). etc.
How do I make any and all apps or their icons to always been displayed in chronological order? First on the left hand side of the notification area and last on the right hand side of the notification area, no matter they are all icons of the same apps or all different ones.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2015-02-05T18:38:39+00:00 thank you.
it is one of the terrible "improvements" defying common sense!
I immediately got confused with disorganized icons of the opened apps!
Another such "improvement" is that Outlook Express is no longer available with Windows 8 !
Is a sick person now at the helm of Microsoft?
-
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2015-02-05T18:44:47+00:00 It's a benefit to me. Now I have an Outlook icon on my taskbar. It never moves, never. No matter when I open it, or even if it's not running at all. It's always the same, just like the radio in my car. Just because I put my car in gear first doesn't mean the stereo power button should move over somewhere else.
And since it never moves, you also get automatic shortcuts. Since it's the 4th icon over on my taskbar, running or not, I can type Win+4 to open it (or start it if it's not already open) at any time.
As for the Outlook Express, yes. Microsoft got sued in the 1990's for including free things like Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. As part of the government settlement, they had to un-bundle things. Now if you want the Microsoft email program, you can get it optionally (but they aren't allowed to pre-bundle it anymore). Go get it from the Windows Essentials page.
-
Anonymous
2015-02-05T19:30:44+00:00 Now I have an Outlook icon on my taskbar. It never moves, never. --------- perfect example! It is saying that different ppl like different things.
So the best solution to different ppl is to give them options or choices. NO choices or NO different settings means bad thing to some of them.
Outlook Express .... Go get it from the Windows Essentials page. ----------- you don't get Outlook Express! There are Outlook.com, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.
Neither one is as simple, versatile, user friendly, giving the same number of options and settings as Outlook Express.
Abandoning Outlook Express - the star - was a very bad thing to do. I can not get it from anywhere. I can not buy it neither ...
-
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2015-02-05T22:43:50+00:00 That Windows Mail program is Outlook Express, it just got renamed back in 2004, and again in 2007. But it's the same core. Even the DLL files are still MSOE (Microsoft Outlook Express). Trust me if you want Outlook Express, that's what you want. Or you can pay for full 'big daddy' Outlook in Microsoft Office, but that might be overkill.