Rearrange taskbar buttons and/or rearrange order of notification area icons. Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2015-02-05T14:24:17+00:00

I found the following for Windows 8.1,

order of app buttons on the taskbar:

All open files from the same app are always grouped together, even if you didn’t open them one after the other. This is so you can see all of the previews for that app at the same time.


How do I make the last or the latest icon to always open on the right hand side. And that the first app or icon is on the left hand side. Second app or its icon always opens or goes on the right hand side (now second left). And the third app or its icon always opens or goes to the right hand side (now third left). etc.

How do I make any and all apps or their icons to always been displayed in chronological order? First on the left hand side of the notification area and last on the right hand side of the notification area, no matter they are all icons of the same apps or all different ones.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T17:13:07+00:00

    Intensity?  Are you not getting the actual transparency option?  It is exactly what you asked for, it turns the transparency on and off like a checkbox switch.

    I did Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Color and Appearance

    I see Change the color of your window borders and taskbar

    I click one of the colors > I chose max Color intensity > I save but the taskbar is still not solid

    and I DO NOT SEE action center transparentOn or Offlike on you pic above

    Pls give full path to it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-07T17:00:04+00:00

    The Mail program that is part of Windows Live Essentials is built on Outlook Express entirely.  They are the same program, they even have the same DLL files, dialog boxes, everything is the same.  They updated the toolbar, not much else.  It works the same, with the same accounts/servers.  It's all based on the old MSIMN.EXE that you know from Windows XP.

    Heck it still integrates into the MSN Messenger like the Windows XP Outlook Express did, even though messenger has been shut down. That's how the same it is.  It even stores in the same database format.

    Check it out and if you see a difference from Outlook Express let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T16:49:06+00:00

    Shawn,  thank you

    On page 1 of this thread   http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-desktop/rearrange-taskbar-buttons-andor-rearrange-order-of/16f66e2a-f5e3-4b84-9888-b258c2c3ffe7?page=1   we have discussed this already.

    If MSF did not create something new since Feb 2014, then Windows Essentials page doesn't offer Outlook Express! There are Outlook.com, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.

    Neither one is as simple, versatile, user friendly, giving the same number of options and settings as Outlook Express.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-07T16:33:02+00:00

    Intensity?  Are you not getting the actual transparency option?  It is exactly what you asked for, it turns the transparency on and off like a checkbox switch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T15:49:39+00:00

    You didn't find it?  It's under here:

    Right-click Desktop > Click Personalize > Click Colors

    There you'll see the checkbox to turn on and off transparency.

    There isn't checkbox in that menu, but there is a slider that can be used to reduce the intensity of a given color which amounts to the same thing I guess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments