Rearrange taskbar buttons and/or rearrange order of notification area icons. Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2015-02-05T14:24:17+00:00

I found the following for Windows 8.1,

order of app buttons on the taskbar:

All open files from the same app are always grouped together, even if you didn’t open them one after the other. This is so you can see all of the previews for that app at the same time.


How do I make the last or the latest icon to always open on the right hand side. And that the first app or icon is on the left hand side. Second app or its icon always opens or goes on the right hand side (now second left). And the third app or its icon always opens or goes to the right hand side (now third left). etc.

How do I make any and all apps or their icons to always been displayed in chronological order? First on the left hand side of the notification area and last on the right hand side of the notification area, no matter they are all icons of the same apps or all different ones.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-08T21:30:01+00:00

    Everything I've ever learned I share at cmdrkeene.com, but some of these you just have to experiment. Like learning what you can right-click on.  Try right-clicking on different things.  Then try holding Ctrl, or Shift, (or both at once!) and right-clicking again to get new options.

    For example, the options you see when you right-click an icon will change depending on which key you're holding.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-08T21:12:53+00:00

    If an app is already running and you want another (instead of switching to the one that's already open), you can hold the shift key while you click it, or click using your middle mouse button (wheel).

    This is the same as how you open a website shortcut in a new window. Try it out, hold shift while you click a link and it opens in a new window instead of re-using the existing one.  The taskbar works just like the rest of the world, it's wonderful.

    This is exactly what I wanted!!!

    And yes, it's wonderful

    pls give link to all these wonderful shortcuts

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-08T19:47:40+00:00

    If an app is already running and you want another (instead of switching to the one that's already open), you can hold the shift key while you click it, or click using your middle mouse button (wheel).

    This is the same as how you open a website shortcut in a new window. Try it out, hold shift while you click a link and it opens in a new window instead of re-using the existing one.  The taskbar works just like the rest of the world, it's wonderful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-08T13:56:48+00:00

    It's part of the Windows Essentials offers.  When you run that installer, it will offer an option to install the Mail program.  You can choose if you want the other programs or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-08T11:33:02+00:00

    Shawn

    I am grateful for your trying to help me. 

    May be I did not find the right app/prog identical to Outlook Express in Windows Essentials. And I'd like to try again.

    Just in case, pls give a link to the newest available version of Windows Essentials.

    And pls give a link or exact name of the app/prog identical/similar to the original Outlook Express.

    I am asking for these links only because I'd like to avoid any possible mistakes and avoid getting the wrong stuff.

    I appreciate your time and effort in helping me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments